Running out of Mettformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beancounter298

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I currently take 2 x 500 twice a day. However I'm about to go away for 2 weeks and I won't have enough to continue taking this amount while I'm away.
My GP surgery is being unhelpful, can't get a response from them, even though I have explained the situation in person
Will it be OK if I reduce the dose while I'm away?
Recent test this week was 55 down from 98 3 months ago

Thanks for any advice

metformin takes a long time to build up, you will be unlikely to notice any difference if you take less for 2 weeks especially if you’re more active on holdiay

Sorry to hear your surgery aren’t being helpful @Beancounter298

Could you not just put an extra prescription request in?

Well done on the terrific HbA1c reduction 🙂 🙂 🙂

Lie, say you have run out, left them behind and can't collect them for 2 or 3 weeks, or ask the pharmacist for help.

The surgery won't let me order repeat prescription on the NHS App and haven't responded when I went in person to explain the situation. They are not a good practice - they knew I was prediabetic but didn't tell me for 2 years by which time my Hba1c was 98

Some surgeries have dates on repeats that you can't order online before.I ordered my repeat Thursday, and my online record now says I can't reorder before the 24 th March.

thats terrible, i would complain directly to the surgery Manager or speak to the pharmacist.

Some surgeries have dates on repeats that you can't order online before.I ordered my repeat Thursday, and my online record now says I can't reorder before the 24 th March.
They won't put the Mettformin on my online. NHS account, so it's not the date

That’s pretty unhelpful really isn’t it :(

I’m guessing there isn’t an alternative within easy reach, ot you’d have already switched.

In the past when I’ve fallen foul of this kind of thing I have found it was resolved quickly by going to see them, but by the sounds of things you’ve already done that!

Have you tried contacting PALS, to see if they have any advice?

My surgery says to contact the pharmacy if I run out of meds and they will issue as an emergency. Is that something you could try?

My surgery says to contact the pharmacy if I run out of meds and they will issue as an emergency. Is that something you could try?
Interesting as my surgery has a short specific list of medications that can be issued as an emergency (insulin, anti seizure medication, things like that). Then they say anything that isn’t on the list you will not come to any harm without them so an urgent prescription cannot be requested.

Interesting as my surgery has a short specific list of medications that can be issued as an emergency (insulin, anti seizure medication, things like that). Then they say anything that isn’t on the list you will not come to any harm without them so an urgent prescription cannot be requested.
It looks as though my surgery has finally agreed to issue the prescription, I won't be sure until I collect it from the pharmacy. I will be interested to see whether the dosage has changed.
Thanks for all the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back