Running fail :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
All fired up for my Sunday morning run - within less than half a mile I felt awful :( The only way I can describe it is like a panic attack - with absolutely no reason as I wasn't being chased by a rottweiler or anything. As soon as I started I felt like my body was being flooded with adrenalin, my heart started racing, my breathing became poor and my legs felt weak as though they were filled with lactic acid. I managed about half a mile up a steep hill (that I have run up successfully several times recently) before I felt the need to stop and walk for a while. I also felt light-headed. After walking a little way I tried to start running again, but the feelings returned almost immediately and I decided to head back home running/walking.

No real idea what caused this. It took me a good hour to fully recover from less than a mile running/walking and normally I am recovered in 5-10 mins after 3 miles or so! My BG was fine and hardly changed (9.3 before and 9.6 after) so it wasn't a sudden rise or fall in that. The only thing I could think it might be is that last night was the first night I have increased my blood pressure medication, so maybe it was due to my BP rising and then falling quickly as I got into my running. I'm really annoyed as I hate giving up on runs and I had been looking forward to it 😡

Hope you are feeling better

Look after yourself

Hope you are feeling better

Look after yourself

I feel fine now, thanks Hazel, just confused! I will try again tomorrow - if the same happens I might have to reduce the meds again and book appt with doctor.

Oh dear sorry to hear what happened northe, though at least you sort of know what may have cased it! i hope your feeling better now 🙂

Aw Northey and you were so fired up, sorry to hear about what happened dont lose heart, good luck for tomorrow fingers crossed for more of a sucsess.

Sorry to hear this, if it is your bp meds then you have at least a starting point for the doc if you need to see him. take care

Hang on in there Northe.

Hope you overcome it and can get out there pounding the pavement again.

Rob

Don't accept any advice that says "stop running"! Hope you can work out a solution, with help from doctor, Runsweet etc if needed.

Hi Northerner

Sorry you had to abandon run - I can fully appreciate how disheartening that is.
Just a thought - could you be coming down with something?

Sorry to hear this and hope you feel better now. The worse thing with something like this is not knowing why?????:confused: I wish I could come off my BP tablets as I suspect they are responsible for alot of 'bad' moments that I have :( Hopefully tomorrows run will go ahead.

Don't accept any advice that says "stop running"! Hope you can work out a solution, with help from doctor, Runsweet etc if needed.

Thanks Copepod. I'm not an 'eyeballs out' sort of runner, so I would have thought the benefits of running regularly would outweigh the risks!

Hi Northerner

Sorry you had to abandon run - I can fully appreciate how disheartening that is.
Just a thought - could you be coming down with something?

I don't think so - I would normally see a general rise in my blood sugar levels if that was the case, whereas they have been falling as you probably know! I'm currently laying the blame at the BP meds, think I'll go and read the patient info leaflet. Although I'm not on a huge dose, the increase was 50% more than I have been taking or the past couple of months and it does seem more than a coincidence that it happens the morning after I upped the dose!

Hi Northerner, Sorry you had to abandon your run :( Hope you can overcome it and get back out running soon.

Northerner, you 'need' your running like I 'need' my hiking so can appreciate you're feeling frustrated-crazy right now. Stopping was definitely the best thing to do tho and contacting ur doctor too, esp. if there's a repeat.

Hope there isn't a repeat - sounds awful Hugs

hi North
I am experiencing those same feelings and too me sounds like the meds for B/P 🙄
as you know I have lots of complications and the Drs have said a couple of months ago to increase my meds as B/P was too High! Now I get those feelings too, suppose its the meds adjusting it ... but not nice feelings at all 😱
I am keeping an eye on them today it was 124/64 pulse50 , now its 106/59 p48, will give it a few more days and if still wonky will phone GP

Take Care Hugs Mo xx

hi North
I am experiencing those same feelings and too me sounds like the meds for B/P 🙄
as you know I have lots of complications and the Drs have said a couple of months ago to increase my meds as B/P was too High! Now I get those feelings too, suppose its the meds adjusting it ... but not nice feelings at all 😱
I am keeping an eye on them today it was 124/64 pulse50 , now its 106/59 p48, will give it a few more days and if still wonky will phone GP

Take Care Hugs Mo xx

Hi Mo, that sounds very low! I have a wrist monitor and that just measured as 91/61, p49 - which I don't really believe. I'm considering getting an upper arm cuff monitor as they are supposed to be much more accurate.

I'm not sure what to do. The meds also affect my hypo awareness, so I can drop very low before noticing and I have been concerned that upping the dose might make this even worse. I think I'll just take the 8mg tonight instead of the 12mg and try a run tomorrow and see how I go.

😉 good luck 🙂
Blimey! That was Low ..........
What tabs are you on ......... my B/p is too high for me to go on Dialaysis yet hahaaha . I know I'm a right pain in the ****

Hugs Mo xx

Last edited:
AL,

Doesn't sound too clever, hope you get back on the road and the meds etc sort themselves out, maybe for the time being relax and have a beer?

Cheers, and take care

Rossi 🙂

I'm on something called candesarten (Amias). Maximum dose is 32mg but I'm currently on 12mg. I was only on 2mg last October though! I was on ramipril originally, but got side effects from it oce I increased above 2.5mg. Perhaps I've reached my 'tipping point' with the candesarten now that it's been raised. Still can't believe how awful I felt so quickly this morning!

I hope that your BP improves so that you can have the dialysis - what do they recommend?

AL,

Doesn't sound too clever, hope you get back on the road and the meds etc sort themselves out, maybe for the time being relax and have a beer?

Cheers, and take care

Rossi 🙂

Would love a beer Rossi, but I think that might be part of the reason my BP has been going high, so laying off it for the time being :( Have one for me, if you'd be so kind! 😉

Hope you can get it sorted before the B'ham meet - cos I owe you a few pints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back