RSPCA rescue cat helps makes sure diabetic owner is feline fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A rescue cat left dumped in a box outside a shop has proved to be the purrrrrrfect pet by raising the alarm when her young owner’s blood sugar levels dip to dangerous levels.

Pippa was adopted by the Jansa family from our Canterbury, Dover and District Branch last year, who were won over by her friendly nature and sociable character.

Little did they know the black-and-white cat would give them more than just love and cuddles. Pippa appears to have the special ability to detect when her eight-year-old owner is about to suffer a hypoglycemic episode due to her diabetes.

http://news.rspca.org.uk/2014/03/25/rspca-rescue-cat-helps-makes-sure-diabetic-owner-is-feline-fine/

:D

I've no doubt that cats are just as able as dogs are to detect hypos in their owners - it's just that the majority of cats can't be bothered to do any alerting!

My cat is just as capable of stopping me getting up or blocking my way to stash of sugar when I'm feeling hypo, as she is of being helpful and moving off my lap / shoulders / chest / whatever bit of me she is sitting on.

I'd love to think that Greyam would be a supercat and alert me - think his bowl of crunchies would somehow distract him though. He's still special though 🙂

Actually, I'm beginning to think that Billy could be useful as a diabetes alarm despite his selfishness - last night he started off sleeping on my son's bed and then for some reason partway through the night he decided to move to my room and trample all over me making himself comfy. I last checked my son's BG at 1am and it was 5.4 - by 6.30 when he got up he was 7.8, so I do wonder if the rising BGs made him all fidgety and annoyed the cat! Next time this happens (ie Billy makes an appearance) I might go and do a BG test! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back