Rough Night..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Jumped out of bed last night feeling dizzy and fell into the wall trying to make my way to the kitchen. Tested at 1.9, lowest I've ever been. First time I've ever had a night time hypo and it was the scariest thing ever, especially while living alone! Treated the hypo and then felt so worried about going back to sleep that I sat up most of the night. I only fell asleep when I couldn't resist any longer while sitting in my arm chair.

Needless to say that this morning I feel rough to say the least. I slept through my alarm on my phone so overslept for work by an hour and feeling drained anyway I've called in sick. Which is even more frustrating because I'm adamant not to let diabetes affect my worklife, so I made up an excuse about a sick bug instead, not just because of not wanting to let them know that its due to having diabetes but because I can't be bothered to try to explain a hypo to the HR girl over the phone!

So the questions are; Did the hypo wake me up? What would of happened if I didn't wake up? The inevitable? Would it of been that simple?

its good it woke you up it means you have good hypo awareness 🙂
i have slept through hypos and a lot of people do and it can be an explanation to gigh blood sugars in the morning , your liver kicks out glucose during a hypo and raises your blood sugar....this is what causes hypo rebounds (the high after a hypo) i suppose i can be that simple though and have heard of storys of people not waking up but i persume they were pretty strong and intence hypos that caused it
dont worry though the fact you woke up means you DO have good hypo awareness and its not something you need to worry about , lots of us have a bed hypo kit ( testing kit and hypo remedy by the bed ) so we dont have to navigate our way to the kitchen in the dark while hypo , try not to worry to much about it , if you do have a night time hypo test 15 mins after th hypo and if it has gone back up i would say over 5mmol your ok to go back to bed 🙂 hope this helps

Hi, what a rough night, it will prob take you most of the day to feel better. Not really sure how to answer your questions, sorry. I have been lower than 1.9 and have woken up feeling not to bad and sometimes i can be 2.4 and have no idea where I am. I think it just depends. Do you keep something next to your bed? It would save you trying to get down the stairs? Just a thought.

Hope you feel better soon. x

Thanks for replies guys, I do usually take testing kit to bed with me but sods law last night I left it on the kitchen counter 🙄! So is there no such thing as a hypo alarm, something hooked up to you at night and alerts you?

ahhh if only 🙂 do u remeber the film panic room and the girl in it had this watch type thing that beeped when she was hypo...... ive always wanted one!! , as far as i can tell there is nothing quite as sophisticated as that around yet , although there is a continous glucose monitor but that has ive been told around a 15 minuite lag and it doesnt alarm

Thanks for replies guys, I do usually take testing kit to bed with me but sods law last night I left it on the kitchen counter 🙄! So is there no such thing as a hypo alarm, something hooked up to you at night and alerts you?

There is such a thing - its a cgm that's attached to a pump. Alex has the medtronic pump which we has a built in cgm. There is a 15 minute delay from the sensor reading and the 'real time' reading - but you can easily solve this by setting your lowest limit to something like 4.5 - so if you have gone under 4 - it will alarm and you will have time to treat before you go down any further.

Not everyone wakes when they are hypo I'm afraid. The best thing you can do is to test yourself through the night for a few nights to see if your basals are correct. You might spot a pattern of dropping at a particular time and so could correct this with either a pump or having extra carbs before you go to sleep. You will be more likely to have another hypo for the next 24 hours - so keep yourself topped up and let yourself run higher than normal as your liver needs time to recover.🙂Bev

I hope you are feeling better. Perhaps later you can phone your firm back and say you felt lousy when you phoned and didn't want to explain a hypo then but that is what happened. You get a little more leeway with sickness if it is diabetes related.

a 15 minuite lag and it doesnt alarm

They do alarm 🙂 or rather, you have to set them to alarm, as bev said. When I trialled one, on one of the nights it thought I was hypo for most of the night so it kept alarming (it beeped loudly). It also does it if you register as being hyper (you set the hypo/hyper alarm limits).

They do alarm 🙂 or rather, you have to set them to alarm, as bev said. When I trialled one, on one of the nights it thought I was hypo for most of the night so it kept alarming (it beeped loudly). It also does it if you register as being hyper (you set the hypo/hyper alarm limits).

i stand corrected 🙂 i knew they existed but thats about it lol😱

I have seen watch-type devices advertised. They work on the sweat/temperature principle and are apparently not very accurate.

I can sympathise about the night hypos, especially when living alone Lewy. I've had a few and also find it difficult to get back to sleep - I find myself drifting off and then start wondering if the sensation is in fact another hypo. As time has gone on, I've become more confident that the treatment I have taken is sufficient to see me through the remainder of the night. I have also discovered that hypos generally do wake me up. If I happen to wake at around 3 am, I always test whether I feel hypo or not - this is the time that your levels are normally at their lowest during the night, so worth setting your alarm for a few nights for this time to see what is going on - you may need to lower your basal, or it might have been a one-off. Exercise the previous day can affect me in the night, so I have to take that into consideration when injecting my basal at night, and also decide whether I am at a good level to go to bed on.

I have two meters, one permanently at my bedside along with a tub of jelly babies and some biscuits! 🙂

Hi lewy
I fell down the stairs once having a hypo, luckily it was only the last few steps and only twisted my ankle but i made sure i always had a supply of sugar next to my bed after that. For me too its half and half whether i wake up or not from a hypo. they're alwasy bad ones when i do wake up and the ones i sleep through always give me that hangover feeling. fun times.

Like someone else said, it helps to make sure your background insulin is correct, and make sure u get accurate test results before you go to bed!

when i have hypos in the night, my dreams start going really really weird.
then i will wake up feeling really shakey, but it always always wakes me up.
i usually go downstairs eat and drink something then wait 5 mins then go back to bed (Y)
but i never get the rough feeling in the morning i'm afraid, nor do i get that low.
Hope it doesn't happen again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back