Joe1251

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

New to the forum, relatively new to member of the T1D crew of West Yorkshire (Sept/Oct 2018) but been dealing with T1D since my little girl's diagnosis in October 2015.

Currently using a Contour Next One for my day to day BG as well as using the app too. I've done a 2 week trial with the freestyle libre (Accidently torn off the first one and had to call Abbott to get a replacement) and it was a great piece of kit.

I'm using the Diasend website and mobile app for both me and Madam Mim... Love a good spreadsheet!

Pretty on the ball with the pens at present although extremely jealous of my daughter sweet Nordisk pens compared to my plastic disposable ones! Awaiting my DICE course to try pump therapy and hopefully will be put on the Freestyle Libre START program.

Currently at 48 for my HbA1c and my nurse has repeatedly told me to 'not get cocky'!

Main things I'm looking for advice on is separated parents with diabetic children... Are others civil? Work together? I'm currently having a lot of stress trying to discuss things with an uncooperative ex unfortunately

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us. Just me in the family with type 1, so no advice with the parenting thing. Having a pump has made a huge difference for me - are you thinking of one for your daughter too?

Hi all,

New to the forum, relatively new to member of the T1D crew of West Yorkshire (Sept/Oct 2018) but been dealing with T1D since my little girl's diagnosis in October 2015.

Currently using a Contour Next One for my day to day BG as well as using the app too. I've done a 2 week trial with the freestyle libre (Accidently torn off the first one and had to call Abbott to get a replacement) and it was a great piece of kit.

I'm using the Diasend website and mobile app for both me and Madam Mim... Love a good spreadsheet!

Pretty on the ball with the pens at present although extremely jealous of my daughter sweet Nordisk pens compared to my plastic disposable ones! Awaiting my DICE course to try pump therapy and hopefully will be put on the Freestyle Libre START program.

Currently at 48 for my HbA1c and my nurse has repeatedly told me to 'not get cocky'!

Main things I'm looking for advice on is separated parents with diabetic children... Are others civil? Work together? I'm currently having a lot of stress trying to discuss things with an uncooperative ex unfortunately
Welcome to the forum Joe. Sounds like you have got your head round things and managing well with that HbA1c. The pump will help you to make life much more flexible, and enable you to match your insulin to your needs hour by hour. Let us know how you get on with the course.

Sorry not to be able to advise on single parent situation

Hello Joe, welcome along. Libre is great is isn’t it? :)

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us. Just me in the family with type 1, so no advice with the parenting thing. Having a pump has made a huge difference for me - are you thinking of one for your daughter too?
Well I'm planning on being a bit of a guinea pig for her so hoping to get a tubeless pump like the Omnipod but she won't be able to have one until whichever school she's going to (She's having to move schools as her current one no longer has vonlunteers to administer insulin) is fully trained in standard injections. I tried an iPort even before I was diabetic just to understand as knowledge is power so I wanna try all I can to suggest what's best for her.

Welcome to the forum Joe. Sounds like you have got your head round things and managing well with that HbA1c. The pump will help you to make life much more flexible, and enable you to match your insulin to your needs hour by hour. Let us know how you get on with the course.

Sorry not to be able to advise on single parent situation
No worries it's something that's probably going to require further court involvement to sort. Definately looking forward to the course and getting the libre again!

Hello Joe, welcome along. Libre is great is isn’t it? :)
Yes but my first one did keep telling me I was Hypoing which I wasn't and I accidently torn it off after a couple of days. Second one was way more accurate but I definately need to see about some sort of armband to stop catchig it. My daughter was very keen to scan me every 2 minutes and hopefully will show her that having something attached to her is fine as wanna get her on a pump as soon as I can. Her legs get so bruised from the "Jibby Jabs".

Yes but my first one did keep telling me I was Hypoing which I wasn't and I accidently torn it off after a couple of days. Second one was way more accurate but I definately need to see about some sort of armband to stop catchig it. My daughter was very keen to scan me every 2 minutes and hopefully will show her that having something attached to her is fine as wanna get her on a pump as soon as I can. Her legs get so bruised from the "Jibby Jabs".
It is great being able to scan as often as you want, and for your daughter as well. The Libre is great for parents overnight (on your daughter that is) as you can check without waking them. I don’t tend to notice my pump cannula now and sometimes have to hunt around to find where I have put it in (other times it is a bit of an ouch).

I use a tegaderm (clear adhesive dressing) over Libre. I lost one to a door frame, and another after a long soak in the bath, so like to know that they are going to stay put. I cut a hole in the centre to let it breathe and then it stays on for the the full 2 weeks.

The Libre is great, once you accept it isn’t perfect. I find either end of the scale it can read lower or higher (Often reads low at night if I’ve been laying on it, I think this is quite common). There’s also a time lag as it doesn’t measure blood glucose. As you’ve noticed, door frames tend to be narrower once you have a sensor on. I’ve lost very few, door frame, removal of sports kit (that one flew quite a distance!), and only last month one just fell off after a few days...no sticky left on it at all...and was replaced no problem, I wasn’t even required to send it back.

Although I thought I had them in the back of my arm, I realise they probably stuck out just a tiny bit, now I have them right round the back of my arm and it’s very difficult to catch them on anything there...hopefully I haven’t spoken too soon. We’re all different and once you get used to how it works for you it’s great, I really just take notice of the arrows.

I will be interested to hear how you get on with the pump journey, as I am with others experiences, as it’s something I am considering.

Good luck with everything.

I have an Omnipod and am very happy with it. Fire away if you ever have any questions

Back