Roche Insight Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Question - when you change the battery, why does the battery strength always drop down before gradually regaining 100% ? Or, doesn't it happen for you?

Half an hour ago changed it, and it told me 55% - now telling me 90% and I fully expect a bit later it will be 100%.

This is one of the latest batteries I have, delivered in July, cos I write the date on the boxes to make sure I am not using ancient ones, since I always had this problem with the previous Insight I used for 12 months.

I'm not sure about the Insight, but I believe that in the Medtronic 640G there is an internal rechargeable battery that is itself recharged by the battery that is replaced. If there is a similar design in the Insight I can see how you would see the results that you report if the battery strength is reporting the internal battery level. When you first insert the new battery, I'm hypothesising that the internal battery is still depleted and it takes a few hours for it to be recharged by the new battery.

I've never really looked at it while it's charging (i will now lol) but i get bloomin frustrated having to charge it so often. i normally leave mine on charge for 3 hours ish and its 100% by then regardless of whether it was dead or half charged. i had issues with pump batteries yesterday and while faffing about with no battery in the pump it was still beeping, don't know how it was beeping and vibrating with no power. the electronics have a mind of their own. maybe the pump has a small internal battery so would seem plausible that the handset would too.

The pump does have an internal battery same as the handset which operates the alarms etc whilst the little AAA one is out - but the pump replaceable battery from which the internal one get's its power is the thing that shows when you press the 'down' arrow on the pump when the main screen is lit up, and also shows on the screen you get once you've hit the deliver bolus button for the third time, the screen where you can see the bolus delivering on the bar thingy.

I'm not talking about the handset at all - purely the pump AAA battery.

Incidentally - the handset battery won't last unless you actually recharge it every 2 days-ish - it's not like eg a phone battery AT ALL. If you run it down to 'I'm dead and won't even turn on' a few times, you'll simply kill the battery. This type of rechargeable battery is actually the complete opposite of a phone battery - the handset battery will live MUCH longer by recharging the blasted thing when it's only gone down a teeny bit.

I only know this from completely killing several batteries in a row - so don't do it else you'll be stuffed with no meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back