Risks from Covid/Winter viruses to people with Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiler123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,

I have to confess I am a bit confused about what sensible advice is as to risks from Covid and other viruses that might be more prevalent in winter especially. I see conflicting sources of advice when I browse around the internet. The one constant is that we are in the "at risk" group (I think we used to be "clinically vulnerable" but this was downgraded when things became less intense perhaps).

My own preference is to avoid large groups of people, especially in poorly ventilated places and probably like everyone else, I maintain good hand washing hygeine. I do wear a mask out of choice in crowded places, but I increasingly I am usually the only one or one of a small number.

How do you deal with this when your work wants to hold a large meeting or training event? Does anyone have a reasonable adjustment to address this kind of thing, e.g. an adjustment to attend meetings remotely or something like that? I must admit that a few months ago when I went on a conference I must have been feeling anxious about catching all sorts of bugs as my numbers were riding high the whole time I was there and went back to normal not long after i left!

I don't actually know anyone else who is diabetic apart from you guys so your words of wisdom are always greatly appreciated!

I just live my life as normal. Certainly wouldn’t use diabetes as an excuse to avoid large meetings.

Thanks Lucy, but that wasn’t really what I was asking. I wasn’t suggesting there was an excuse. I was trying to explain that I don’t fully understand the risk from Covid and related matters.

My impression might be a bit skewed as I was out of action for several months after Covid.

Not everyone was classed as Clinical Vulnerable during the pandemic.

Still wear mask for work meeting take hand sanitiser as well, sure management won't object as its your responsibility to look after yourself.

Safe to say keep upto date with covid boosters & flu jab & rest you can't do much about as your doing plenty of precautions already.

Not everyone was classed as Clinical Vulnerable during the pandemic.
Oh, weren't they? I wasn't diagnosed until after the pandemic was ebbing out a bit. I thought all diagnosed diabetic people were in a (then) clinically vulnerable group with regard to Covid. I know that, of itself, it would have not have placed someone in the extremely vulnerable group. But now the terminology has changed and, vis-a-vis Covid, we are in the "at risk" group. This is based on my understanding, but I could have misunderstood.

Still wear mask for work meeting take hand sanitiser as well, sure management won't object as its your responsibility to look after yourself.

Safe to say keep upto date with covid boosters & flu jab & rest you can't do much about as your doing plenty of precautions already.
Ni NTW, thanks for this. Much appreciated.

@Smiler123 - decades ago when they first introduced annual flu jabs - people with diabetes (and/or some other medical probs) could have them on the NHS, plus really elderly folk - but practically nobody else could. Used to hack me off cos working in a large office, in the winter often enough I'd be one of about half a dozen people in - once someone had given it to everyone else. I had so little sick leave, they KNEW I was ruddy bad when I had to!

@Smiler123 - decades ago when they first introduced annual flu jabs - people with diabetes (and/or some other medical probs) could have them on the NHS, plus really elderly folk - but practically nobody else could. Used to hack me off cos working in a large office, in the winter often enough I'd be one of about half a dozen people in - once someone had given it to everyone else. I had so little sick leave, they KNEW I was ruddy bad when I had to!
Thanks for that TW. Seems like in some ways you drew the short straw! Although great that you could have the vaccination!

Clinically extremely vulnerable as opposed to clinically vulnerable. (If I remember correctly CEV were in group 2 of the vaccination priority list.)
Thanks Bruce for your responses and confirming my understanding that people with diabetes were in the cv group.

As I see it Covid has become not much more than a cold. I have had it twice, once last February and again in October - and 5 vaccinations. The first time the worst symptom was tiredness, the second time it was 2 days with a runny nose. Had I not have had an appointment at the GP I wouldn't have even tested. So personally I do not worry about it and go about life as normal. In any case a mask will not protect you. They are meant to protect others from you should you have the infection.

I had a couple of weeks off work with covid, but then again I’m still ill from the flu I had at Christmas. I still wouldn’t do anything differently, I don’t wear a mask, I go to busy places, life is for living.

Thanks Lucy. I'm really pleased that you're living life!

You're still ill from flu last Christmas? Goodness me.

I follow the WHO guidance on mask wearing. I don't accept that no protection is offered with the appropriate use of a mask, but I accept that people tolerate risk and see things in all different ways.

It has been helpful to hear how people approach things and actually I am not unduly surprised. I think the general tone on this forum is one of pragmatic positivity!

Thanks Lucy. I'm really pleased that you're living life!

You're still ill from flu last Christmas? Goodness me.

I follow the WHO guidance on mask wearing. I don't accept that no protection is offered with the appropriate use of a mask, but I accept that people tolerate risk and see things in all different ways.

It has been helpful to hear how people approach things and actually I am not unduly surprised. I think the general tone on this forum is one of pragmatic positivity!
Any illness can trigger a “long covid” type illness, usually known as post-viral fatigue or after going on for 3 or more months it can become M.E/CFS. No point worrying about covid specifically when any illness can have permanent effects is my main view! If illness happens, it happens and I’ll deal with whatever effects it has then.

Personally I think keeping your jabs up to date is probably the biggest thing you can do to reduce your risks from winter viruses. People with diabetes qualify for both bivalent Covid booster and a flu jab - so do make sure you get those if you haven’t already.

The main effect of wearing a mask (as I’m sure you know) is to protect others from any viruses you may unknowingly be carrying and potentially breathing out. There is only a very very small protective effect for the wearer. Though of course it’s natural to feel like it must be doing something.

My brush with Covid was a very mild affair too (and very likely made milder by the vaccines/boosters I had on board).

I’m not sure if current data being collected point to any likelihood of restrictions / mask mandates being reintroduced, but I suspect there would be quite a bit of internal resistance to any such measures within the government.

We have gone back at work to masks being optional. I don't usually wear one in the office but then I'm mostly at my desk (and also intermittently drinking water or coffee which is hard to do with a mask on!) and usually seeing the same people.

I do prefer to wear one during visits, it may be entirely coincidental as I have no idea who I caught it from, but when I did catch covid in June it was when we first briefly were told masks were optional for visits and I didn't wear one... (we don't visit anyone who admits to having covid symptoms in the household anyway, but sometimes they will reveal someone "has a cold" at the end of a visit....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back