Risk assessments

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodders1960

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, im T2, and have bought my hbca1 to normal levels. Hope this isnt a silly question. I work in retail, so am with the general public a lot. With Covid starting to rise, should i have a risk assessment done in my workplace . I have been reading that people with diabetes are quite vulnerable?

Early on in the days of Covid-19, there were reports that people with diabetes are more at risk.
As more data emerged, my understanding was that it was not as straightforward. There are a number of criteria at play: age, weight, sex and hba1c as the ones that I am aware of. With regards to HBA1C, it is having a value over 75 which can add to the risk with covid. As you have bought yours down to normal levels - Congratulations on doing so - it is unlikely to affect your covid vulnerability.
Sadly, we cannot reduce our age but covid certainly focused my attention on maintaining low hba1c and a healthy weight.

Thanks Helli, thats interesting. It was an NHS report that i had been reading. It said that if become unwell with covid, to test regularly as blood sugars go all over the place, due to the body trying to fight the infection. It said that diabetics, either type, can get very ill.

Thanks Helli, thats interesting. It was an NHS report that i had been reading. It said that if become unwell with covid, to test regularly as blood sugars go all over the place, due to the body trying to fight the infection. It said that diabetics, either type, can get very ill.
Any illness can affect our blood sugars and make diabetes more challenging to manage.
I believe this is why we get flu and covid jabs. At least, Type 1 is why I get them.
My understanding (and experience) is that we are no more at risk of catching these if we manage our diabetes.

Yes i agree. Its not that we get more chance of catching it, its how it can affect us once poorly with it ‍♀️

Yes i agree. Its not that we get more chance of catching it, its how it can affect us once poorly with it ‍♀️
In which case you’d better get risk assessed for colds, flu, sickness bugs and every other transmittable illness out there too. There’s nothing special about Covid any more which is why people are no longer required to self isolate.

People with diabetes are more at risk of adverse outcomes, which is why we’re offered the Covid and flu vaccinations. Individual risk would depend on a number of factors. As you’ve reduced your HbA1C to a normal level, that diabetes risk would probably be small for you personally.

You could ask a more general question about Covid policy and mitigating risks. Retail companies should have policies to help protect both staff and customers.

People with diabetes are more at risk of adverse outcomes, which is why we’re offered the Covid and flu vaccinations. Individual risk would depend on a number of factors. As you’ve reduced your HbA1C to a normal level, that diabetes risk would probably be small for you personally.

You could ask a more general question about Covid policy and mitigating risks. Retail companies should have policies to help protect both staff and customers.
Thankyou for your reply. Will have a look at the policies as work.

In which case you’d better get risk assessed for colds, flu, sickness bugs and every other transmittable illness out there too. There’s nothing special about Covid any more which is why people are no longer required to self isolate.
So why is it on the news, saying the hospitals are starting to see a lot more cases? A hospital near to where i work has had to close due to the rise?

The Diabetes UK page hasn’t been updated for a while, but has lots of information

And links through to this page about work/employment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back