Rising bloods in the morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Damn it! It seems my blood like to rise between 7am - 11am. Is this my levemir? It seems that the thirty four units I take seems to keep me stable over night (went to bed on a nine point six and woke up to a nine point three) but then things all go wrong later on. Would it be worth either altering my ratios or splitting my levemir dose?

Tom

Hi Tom ...

I can relate to this one as regards to Nathan having similar problems ... :(

What are the rest of your readings like through out the day hun??.

Splitting your levemir is a possibility as it doesnt quiet cover a 24 hr period. If it were Nathan I would probably try adding a uint or 2 at night to see if that helps first. If that didnt make any change .. I would increase the morning Nova .. .. the reason I would do this is because Nathan is'nt keen on having an extra injection .. but please bear in mind he is 14 ... and others may not see an extra one any problem. If these changes didnt make any difference to readings at the time then splitting the does would have to be tried.

Trust in your instincts if splitting feels right for you .. go for it ..

Heidi
xx🙂

Tom, if you are sure that you have the correct ratio of insulin to carbs for your breakfast and this isn't causing the problem, then yes you will need to increase your levemir. Don't increase it by more than 1-2 units at a time, and leave it for a few days whilst testing before adjusting again.

Presumably you are on a short acting insulin as well? If so are you having enough to cover what you eat for breakfast? I'm on Lantus and have the same problem. Have porridge for breakfast but if I dare to put a bit of fruit on it I'm up there in the teens - annoying huh. Karen

I have the same problem, and you'll be able to deal with it far beter when you're on the pump! 🙂

If your levemir is keeping you steady overnight I'd be a bit reluctant to increase it. You could try adding a second shot of levemir in the morning? Maybe just a couple of units to see what happens. Or you could always take a couple of units of short-acting to ward off the dawn phenomenon effect.

I'm on Lantus, which is supposed to last 24hrs, but was having same prob. Moved dose to PM rather than am and things are much better. Couldn't increase dose, because hypo'd during day - you might need to watch out for this too tom, if you increase your Levermir - might be worth asking if changing to Lantus would help?

Fortunately I am stable over night. For some odd reason and out of no concious doing I've been waking up around the three in the mornining time and I've been pretty close to the blood that I had when I went to bed. All except this morning. I suppose the Lasagne would have caused that. Well, a quick correction sorted that out and I've just tested a few moments ago to get a four point two. Time to carb up for a my walk to the station before I get back to brighton and begin to munch on rabbit food. Side note, I've dropped half a kilo since begining to go to the gym.

Tom

I find that once im up and about in the mornings my bloods wanna be higher, think it happens to a lot of type 1s though. I need extra short acting with breakfast to bring it back to normal, but throughout the day I hardly need any and I have been type 1 for 21 years.
It also was the same when I split my lantus, I was told from my consultant that its totally normal to need more insulin in the morning than any other time of the day and its best to eat and take your insulin 1st thing when you get up to avoid it happening in first place.
The joys of being a diabetic huh!!🙄

Side note, I've dropped half a kilo since begining to go to the gym.

Tom

Well done Tom - assuming you wanted to lose weight - but you look trim in your photos!

Well done Tom - assuming you wanted to lose weight - but you look trim in your photos!

Yeah I do want to shift the weight. I gained eight kilos in the first few months at university so it's got to go. I'd love to get back to my pre uni seventy kilos. My suit is begining to get a little tight!

Yeah I do want to shift the weight. I gained eight kilos in the first few months at university so it's got to go. I'd love to get back to my pre uni seventy kilos. My suit is begining to get a little tight!

LOL - bit like my jeans - they keep er, shrinking in the wash 😉

LOL - bit like my jeans - they keep er, shrinking in the wash 😉

Yeah, two weeks ago I could go without wearing a belt with my favourite suit. This week it is a necessity. I now actually fit into my pinstripe well once more. Time to shift the student beer belly!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back