Ripples and shivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucy123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

I don't know if you can help.

Quite recently I have started to suffer extreme shivering (teeth actually chattering) and sometimes get what I can only describe as ripples accross my chest - it has even woke me up before).

It generally (though not always) tends to be after exercise, after I have driven home and am getting ready for bed.

I tend to be soaking wet the next morning as well with sweat.

I have mentioned this to the doctors but was shrugged off with it being a panic attack!!

I am not sure how you can have one of these when asleep.

Has anybody else experienced this - I am tending to forget about it after it happens, but not sure if i should be.

Some of those symptoms could be caused by low blood sugar - not necessarily hypoglycaemia, as your body can react to levels "lower than its used used to" in the same way as it would to true hypoglycaemia from more normal blood sugar levels.
Exercise can reduce blood suagr levels fairly significantly, so that also supports the low blood sugar theory. However, only way to know for sure is to check blood sugar levels before and about 30 mins after exercise, preferably before driving. Checking before will show a drop / rise as well as absolute levels.

You might also consider:

• taking your exercise earlier in the day if you can to give your blood sugars time to stablise before you go to bed, and
  • testing before bed and having a little something to eat if you're below, say, 6

I've learned the hard way never to go to bed without a snack if I'm lower than 6.5 or I may have a hypo in the night and now my little alarm has gone I might not know it until it gets really low so I'm being extra careful.

I'd go with the advice above, but also how old are you? Might also be your age and your doctor appears not to be too worried.

If you are worried, it may pay you to persist with the doctor, some times we need to push something to make a point.

Hi Thanks all,

Would you still eat if below 6 if type 2 and d/e contolled only.
Still got so much to learn.

I'm not sure, but I think so. If you go below 6 before bed, no matter what type you have you may go low in the night. I'd advise you try it and see what happens, if the symptoms stop then it works. Are you taking readings in the mornings when you wake?

Yes and they are now in the 6.x somethings.
I do sense it about to happen before it does -so maybe taking a reading then would be a good idea.

I was more worried about the ripples than the shivers - they are strange.
Are ripples associated with low sugar?

Yes, they can be. Or they can be associated with a panic attack. I get those too, sometimes when I'm low I become really anxious and distressed. I start shaking and shivering, and I may get very confused as well.

Last edited:
So the main thing is test before and after exercise - and eat if feeling shaky or sugars low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back