Right, random question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estellaa

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I went ice skating for the first time today right and i know for a fact my sugar levels were find beforehand and that i had the right amount of food.
after the session had finished and we went for lunch tested my levels and they were in the twenties i was like, how and why?

(i was skating with a boy i liked though, would that have any effect 😛)

What were you before you started? If you were over 12 then you might not have had enough insulin on board to be able to exercise. When did you last eat before the skating? If your high and you dont have enough insulin - and then you exercise - you will go even higher. You could also have been excited and adrenalin will have played a part - but dont correct yourself too much as the exercise will bring you down naturally anyway.🙂Bev

Aerobic exercises cause you BG to drop, anaerobic exercise causes it to rise. Ice-skating is categorised as an aerobic exercise but with doing it for the first time, falling over a lot maybe and then having to pick yourself up or doing a lot of quick steps to maintain your balance, then it could perhaps become more anaerobic. :confused: Maybe someone who has actually done some ice-skating could comment better on this.

Also I am sure I would find ice-skating quite stressful, again raising BG levels.

As for the effect us men can have on you ladies well who knows, but if you find he repeatedly causes your BGs to shoot up then maybe you need to take some extra insulin before meeting him ... or find a new boy? 🙄

Anyway I hope you got the high reading corrected soon enough, you had a good lunch and the experience did not put you off ice-skating ... or your friend. 😎

I haven't ice skated since I've had diabetes, but my attempts to learn inline skating were relatively stressful - even though I didn't have the extra factor of trying to impressed someone I fancied. Falling over lots is pretty painful, so I used to wear gloves for pushing up from ice. At least for inline skating I had wrist and knee pads, but no bottom padding. So, I reckon that your first attempt at ice skating, combined with a date, was stressful enough to raise your blood sugars more than the reducing effects of exercise. Next time should be easier...

just to say everybody, jesus christ i ache all over today especially where i fell over.
Ice Skating, not for a while.

and I just want to say that I love ice skating and in-line skating. Wish I wasn't too old for the roller disco, the one I was too old for 10 years ago 😎

I used to love taking my kids to the snowdome(i take it that's where you went?) Now they wouldn't be seen dead woth dad lol.
Unusual periods of activity (more than you consider normal) do have an effect on sugar levels, you have to live and learn on that then you will be able to adjust for it.
All I can advise is regular testing befor eduring and after till you see how big the effect is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back