Ridiculously relieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am away for a few days with friends and it includes sensor change over day.
My husband has done this for me in the back of my arm every time apart from twice in over two years.
It is easier for him to see what is going on so I have been happy to accept the offer.

Time to do it myself. Even more nervous when I realised I had only packed one sensor (foolish I know)
opted for abdomen instead of arm as I was likely to have more chance of success.
Done. Relieved as I felt very much like a newbie to this.

I always put my Libre on my arm looking in the mirror. I put my hand of the arm I am going to apply it to on the opposite shoulder, so it is across my chest and the back of my arm is clearly exposed. Never had a failure, but I remember the first 2 I applied I was very anxious in case I messed it up..... not least because I was self funding and could ill afford to botch it!

Hope you have a fab time away with your friends!

I always put my Libre on my arm looking in the mirror. I put my hand of the arm I am going to apply it to on the opposite shoulder, so it is across my chest and the back of my arm is clearly exposed. Never had a failure, but I remember the first 2 I applied I was very anxious in case I messed it up..... not least because I was self funding and could ill afford to botch it!

Hope you have a fab time away with your friends!
Thanks @rebrascora
I find the insertion of the sensor is fine. It is the attachment of the tapes and the insertion of the separate transmitter that can get messy, and I need two hands for those bits. I have watched videos of people doing it into their arm, but I wasted one set previously trying to do this (which they replaced) so go for the easy option.

Ah well us Libre users don't have transmitters or tapes. However - I can't unscrew the 2 bits of the Libre inserter cos I'm too feeble wrist-wise and have difficulty - but can actually do it - getting the metal seal off the sensor itself. (I have some difficulty with some packs of supermarket sandwich meat and that's just ruddy plastic.) So, should Pete not happen to be available for any reason (I don't want to think about) I couldn't use it any more.

But anyway mate - I always remember a Type 1 lady I knew, a retired university medical researcher being interested I'd just had my first pump asking me how long it had taken me to change my first cannula. Me - 20 minutes. Her - 35. I reckon this classes about the same, so jolly well done!!

Try using a jar opener/oil filter wrench that has a loop into which you can put the top that unscrews and tighten it to open.

Hello all, I’m new to the forum but not new to diabetes (51 years). I use 780g and guardian 4. I don’t bother with the tapes supplied to hold the sensor and transmitter. I just cover both with one piece of 3M Tegaderm (transparent film dressing frame style. Easy to apply in one go.

Hello all, I’m new to the forum but not new to diabetes (51 years). I use 780g and guardian 4. I don’t bother with the tapes supplied to hold the sensor and transmitter. I just cover both with one piece of 3M Tegaderm (transparent film dressing frame style. Easy to apply in one go.
Thanks for that @bobster
I have just put a tegaderm over my fixings, which was lifting under one edge.

Good to have your vast experience on the forum.
How are you finding using the 780 with the Guardian 4?
I am assuming you are using the automated adjustments (looping in Smartguard)
Which insulin are you using with your pump?

Well done @SB2015 :D :D :D

1686555055766.gif

It‘ll be a breeze next time, and second nature before you know it!

I even managed to find a way to disconnect G3 transmitters single-handed when restarting sensors on my Medtronic. (back of arm was a better site for me).

I am interested in when you tape. Do you insert the transmitter, which is the time when I feel I need tow hands, without first doing any taping?

Well done @SB2015 :D :D :D

View attachment 26276

It‘ll be a breeze next time, and second nature before you know it!

I even managed to find a way to disconnect G3 transmitters single-handed when restarting sensors on my Medtronic. (back of arm was a better site for me).
I am impressed that you managed to take out a transmitter and reinsert it without removing the sensor. I guess it is as you suggested that if I started to do the insertions myself it would get easier. However I think that I am going to continue to let my OH do them in my arms, and ‘develop my skills‘ when I need to.
Yup whimping out on this.

Last edited:
I am impressed that you managed to take out a transmitter and reinsert it without removing the sensor.

It’s all about the finger squeeze :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back