Richmond CCG has decided these products will no longer be prescribed by local NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Patients in Richmond will no longer be able to get certain products prescribed on the NHS following agreed cuts to spending.

Richmond’s Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) has announced that it will no longer support the routine NHS prescription for gluten free food, vitamin D maintenance and for medicines which are available over the counter.

The cuts follow a public engagement exercise, ‘Choosing Wisely’, launched from December 2016 to February 2017 after the CCG identified with NHS England that it needs to find the best way to make use of its £254 million.

Dr Graham Lewis, chairman of Richmond CCG said: “As a public body we have a responsibility to make best use of our allocated budget so the feedback we received was extremely important to us in making decisions about future prescribing in the borough."

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtim...onger_prescribe_these_medicines_and_products/

Patients in Richmond will no longer be able to get certain products prescribed on the NHS following agreed cuts to spending.

Richmond’s Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) has announced that it will no longer support the routine NHS prescription for gluten free food, vitamin D maintenance and for medicines which are available over the counter.

The cuts follow a public engagement exercise, ‘Choosing Wisely’, launched from December 2016 to February 2017 after the CCG identified with NHS England that it needs to find the best way to make use of its £254 million.

Dr Graham Lewis, chairman of Richmond CCG said: “As a public body we have a responsibility to make best use of our allocated budget so the feedback we received was extremely important to us in making decisions about future prescribing in the borough."

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtim...onger_prescribe_these_medicines_and_products/

Quite a lot of people are in for some shocks re GP services now that the effects of draconian budget cuts are coming through.

It's not even an astute political move, the effects recognise no political bounds, these measures will adversely affect everybody.

The problem with this is when you come to over the counter pain relievers. Paracetamol is a very effective pain reliever. I get 200 on my prescription. If that came off my prescription I would be able to buy only 16 at a time. That's two days supply.

I also use Aveeno cream for my eczema. Keeps the skin nicely moisturised. Anyone can buy that - its advertised on telly. It's around £18 a pop.

These are prescriptions for ongoing conditions. It wouldn't hurt me at all to buy these thing if the chemist (or Spar) would sell me therapeutic quantities. But there's an awful lot of people who will have to choose pain relief or food and heating.

And we can buy our Creon over the counter, Bill. Fancy forking out £50-£100 for your supply?

The problem with this is when you come to over the counter pain relievers. Paracetamol is a very effective pain reliever. I get 200 on my prescription. If that came off my prescription I would be able to buy only 16 at a time. That's two days supply.

I also use Aveeno cream for my eczema. Keeps the skin nicely moisturised. Anyone can buy that - its advertised on telly. It's around £18 a pop.

These are prescriptions for ongoing conditions. It wouldn't hurt me at all to buy these thing if the chemist (or Spar) would sell me therapeutic quantities. But there's an awful lot of people who will have to choose pain relief or food and heating.

And we can buy our Creon over the counter, Bill. Fancy forking out £50-£100 for your supply?

There seems to be a lot of complacency around the D environment lately. People assume that because they have had access to something for a while they will always have it,,,, big mistake.

The axeman is on the loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not just Richmond, NICE have made these recommendations across the board so all the CCG's will be following suit,

I'm concerned about my Vit D which is required in an amount that I cannot easily buy. It's one thing wanting a small supplement almost for nutritional reasons and having a clinical deficiency. I hope they can see the difference! 🙄

I doubt it very much Amigo. But in Scotland, where Vit D deficiency is endemic, I don't think NHS Scotland would dare make that just over the counter. This doesn't appear to be a priority in saving money anyway. NHS Scotland is patient orientated, not business orientated. It makes a difference in the way they approach funding deficiencies.

It does appear to me that any groups who do not draw a line in the sand now will, quite simply, find themselves in a very long lasting mess soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back