Review after study reveals GP evidence was factor in only 2.9% of disability benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The Government has carried out an assessment of the key factors in deciding appeals against decisions to remove disability benefits from claimants, after a pilot study revealed GP evidence was the deciding factor in only 2.9% of cases, Pulse has learnt.

The Department of Work and Pensions asked judges to provide a written summary explaining their decisions in individuals? appeals against the removal of the Employment Support Allowance, including the importance of the GP report.

It followed a study last November that showed judges cited GPs? supporting evidence as the principal factor in only 2.9% of successful appeals when provided with a list of potential reasons from a drop-down menu.

GP leaders said that practitioners are increasingly being asked to provide evidence to support such appeals ? which they say is increasing workload and causing problems with the doctor-patient relationship ? despite these figures showing they are of relatively little importance in judges? decisions.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/20005144.article#.UpMq9MTASSo

(free registration required)

In my last appeal, my GP's letter was a consideration only because he was able to describe the situation more clearly than I could. The main evidence however, was my own given to the panel on the day and rehashing much of what I'd tried to explain to the ATOS drone at their inquisition HQ months before.

The whole system needs scrapping. While I have to agree some sort of checks and balances are required to deal with the relatively small number of 'benefit cheats' the current system is, and has been from the start, a total and incredibly expensive failure.

This line says it all to me:

"The study reviewed around 26,500 successful appeals relating to disability benefits between July and October 2012."

That's 26,500 people who were no doubt put through unnecessary worry and suffering. At the same time, bank execs get to walk away with six figure payoffs and pensions :( How can something not be seriously wrong when tens of thousands of appeals are successful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back