Returned from holiday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mand

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello everyone!

How are you all? Have certainly missed you all! 🙂

Well, we arrived back from Mallorca yesterday eve and i am happy to tell you that we had a fantastic holiday! Weather was very hot, villa was fantastic and everyday was relaxing!

It was our first overseas holiday with my son since his diagnosis and i happy to say that there were no problems at all. No problems at airport with insulin and needles. I did not need to show letter and was not questioned at all about the contents in my hand luggage.

The Frio wallets worked well and kept insulin cool enough on beach etc.

My sons blood sugar levels were no different to at home. I had to do alot of guestimating as we ate out so often but I did great! (sorry for blowing my own trumpet there but i am pretty chuffed with myself). Also asked my son to guestimate and we often came to same number which is also good news!

I cannot believe how smooth it all went. Not one single problem! Phew!!!!!

So can i take this opportunity to reassure anyone contemplating going abroad for the first time that it can go completely smoothly and problem free.

I am now going to try and catch up with you all by reading your posts over the past week. Will not have time to read them all so do please tell me if you have any particular news. I am so interested in hearing how you all are.

Patricia and Sugarbum - I will catch up with your 'pump' threads and post a message to you on them. :D

Bev - i did just read one of your posts that said Alex might be getting a pump soon! I am thrilled for you! I will keep everything crossed! :D

Well i am glad my holiday was carefree and relaxing because he starts on his pump on Tuesday at 9.30am! We have already done the saline trial so Tuesday will be the real thing! GULP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will do a thread to keep you all informed of how we get on!

Sorry for this essay but seems so much to catch up with! Glad we didnt go for a fortnight! :D

welcome back mand so pleased you had a gr8 hol, the weather here has been super but rather hot , tis now cooling alot here thank goodness xx

Hi Mand

Glad you holiday went brill and everything went well :D

Heidi
🙂

Welcome home, glad all was good. I went to Palma a few years ago and loved it ... apart from time share touts!

Julie x

Welcome back , 🙂🙂🙂🙂

Hi Mand,

So pleased to hear that you had a good, relaxing holiday and that all went well with the guesstimating and sugar levels! Well done to all of you!🙂 Eek! Exciting to have yet another member about to start pumping! I hope you have set aside a few minutes each day in your diary to keep us informed of how it goes!🙂

Hi Mand!

Glad you had a great holiday! I didnt know your son had done the saline pump trial. We have been told that they just start straight with insulin - i dont know why really , but we are happy to go along with it! Great that the levels were the same as at home - less stress! Glad your back - you have been missed! Good luck for the pump start too! We are off to London on Tuesday to watch a demo of the new medtronic pump - yeeha!:DBev

Thank you everyone. Good to be back!

Northerner, I will do a thread to keep you all posted. 🙂🙂

Yes Bev, he had to do a saline trial before we were told whether he could have a pump. It was part of the criterea that he tried a pump first. I did not think it was fair because he liked the pump but what if they had turned him down after getting that far! It would have been tragic! His nurse was pretty sure he would get one but she had to follow criterea (don't know if that spelt right!) so we had to do it that way. Good luck in London! 🙂🙂

Hi Mand,

Welcome back. I was in Majorca at the start of June with my wife and 21 month old daughter for two weeks and it was so hot! They said they were getting their typical summertime weather. One day it was 37C

Glad you had a good time and your sons BG levels were good. Mine were a bit all over the place (mostly very high) but I don't cope well with the heat :( And I was having two plates of puddings most nights which probably didn't help either.

I had Frio pouches away with me too. I've got a DuoPen wallet for holding my fast and slow needles, and a large wallet for holding spare insulin which is useful if your hotel room doesn't have a fridge.

NiVZ

Great to have you back! Will chat tomorrow, lots of love, Lou xxx

niVZ - it is still hot out there! We averaged 34 most days. Too hot for us really but we coped. Which part you went to? We went to pollensa, in the north. It was our third time to mallorca as we love it there! 🙂🙂

When i say my sons levels were same as at home, I have to admit that we not doing great at home at the moment (hence the fact that he starting on a pump tomorrow!) so he did have too many highs but that has been happening at home too. Having said that he also had some good readings and so we know we guestimated well at times and also only 2 minor hypos. It did not help that he started with a cold the day before we flew out so we had that to add to the mixture too! But overall, his control was good, taking everything into consideration.

Gosh, that's really good going Mand! Only two mild hypos, that's amazing. You have a right to be chuffed. I'm interested to hear that you used the frio bags successfully -- we didn't do this with E on his trip as we knew the hostel would have fridges -- but, er, he forgot to hand the stuff in, so returned with the insulin which then had to be wasted. Shame.

Re estimating -- this will stand you both in HUGELY great sted when it come to the pump... It's something we've been rather slow to do, but E is better at it than us, and it has increased his confidence no end to do it and do it well while away...

Welcome home! And relieved for you (and us) it all went well. Good job.

Hello,

We were in Palma Nova in the South. Majorca is a really great place for families as everywhere is so child friendly. It was our first time abroad as a family, and our first time to Majorca and we really enjoyed it. It's nice to get away and relax for a while.

Sounds like you did very well guestimating, especially with the heat and a cold to contend with.

NiVZ

Glad you had a great holiday, and under the circustances I'd be pleased with myself yoo. You are obviously doing a brilliant job abd the holiday was well deserved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back