Retiring on I’ll health with T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbyr14

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone I am new to the site and would be ever so thankful for some advice. I am 52, T1 for 42 years and a teacher in a secondary school. In recent times I have become increasingly fatigued - basically I come home after work and sleep and then repeat. The weekend does give some respite however I am soon back on the Monday-Friday wheel and things are progressively getting work in respect of my tiredness. My T1 indicators are all pretty good - Hb1ac, BP, cholesterol etc. I am not sure how long I can continue in work but moreover I cannot really afford to retire now. I was wondering if there was anybody out there with a similar story who has been through the ill health retirement process. Any advice would be gratefully received.

@Bobbyr14 I presume you’d need medical evidence - have you spoken to your consultant about your health? Have you tried reducing your workload with the support of your employer?

There’s some basic information on the Teachers Pension site:

https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/members/working-life/life-events/ill-health.aspx

Finally, and not related to retiring, have you had a recent coeliac test as that can cause tiredness. In fact, it was the only symptom of a family friend (not diabetic) who developed it in her mid-60s. Worth ruling out, I’d think.

Hello everyone I am new to the site and would be ever so thankful for some advice. I am 52, T1 for 42 years and a teacher in a secondary school. In recent times I have become increasingly fatigued - basically I come home after work and sleep and then repeat. The weekend does give some respite however I am soon back on the Monday-Friday wheel and things are progressively getting work in respect of my tiredness. My T1 indicators are all pretty good - Hb1ac, BP, cholesterol etc. I am not sure how long I can continue in work but moreover I cannot really afford to retire now. I was wondering if there was anybody out there with a similar story who has been through the ill health retirement process. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Fatigue can be a symptom of many things. So you need to go to your GP or ring him explain what's going on so he can find out the cause of it. There could be a very simple cure/solution. There is no such condition in the medical dictionary called it's your diabetes.

@Bobbyr14 I presume you’d need medical evidence - have you spoken to your consultant about your health? Have you tried reducing your workload with the support of your employer?

There’s some basic information on the Teachers Pension site:

https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/members/working-life/life-events/ill-health.aspx

Finally, and not related to retiring, have you had a recent coeliac test as that can cause tiredness. In fact, it was the only symptom of a family friend (not diabetic) who developed it in her mid-60s. Worth ruling out, I’d think.
Thank you for your reply. I have been to see my GP this week and they are carrying out some tests.

Hi. Well managed T1 or any type of diabetes is unlikely to cause fatigue so you need to have it investigated and not assume it's due to T1.

It might be an underachieve thyroid issue. I would hope the test your GP 's running would pick this up. The link between diabetes and thyroid issues is well known. Good Luck

I agree with @Piglet it might well be your thyroid, you are about the right age for that to start failing, so do get it checked.

I was retired due to ill health, (not due to diabetes) but there are many hoops you have to get through to obtain that. Don’t bother with thinking about that until you have been to your GP. I doubt with your current problems you would get it. If all tests are normal, you could discuss reducing your work hours, but that might affect your pension.

Hope you can get to the bottom of your fatigue @Bobbyr14 and that there are some practical and effective options available to help you get a bit of zest back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back