Retirement 'harmful to health', study says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Retirement has a detrimental impact on mental and physical health, a new study has found.

The study, published by the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA), a think tank, found that retirement results in a "drastic decline in health" in the medium and long term.

The IEA said the study suggests people should work for longer for health as well as economic reasons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22550536

Perhaps it's due to the change in routine? We're so used to getting up, going to work etc that people can get bored and lost when they retire.
I told one of my former colleagues to get plenty of hobbies for when he retired!
Personally, I'm thinking about doing a degree when I retire (if I'm lucky enough to get there!!) 🙄

A friend's Mum decided that on retirement after a long working life and bringing up 9 children, she would sit in her chair and let everyone wait on her for a change. She only managed a few months before heart failure developed and that was the beginning of a slow terminal decline. If I can ever afford to retire (or win the lottery), I'll volunteer for the local League of Friends!

Ive been retired for nearly two years now and Im much bussier retired than when I worked for my living. I just dont have enough hours in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back