Retinopathy screening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proudspirit

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I went for a gp check last week, he refered me for feet and diet but told me to go to the opticians for retinopathy screening, just tell them you are diabetic he said!. I thought it was a tad strange as anyone could say that they were diabetic but hey Dr knows best, so off i went to the optrician to be told that the gp has to write to somewhere in stafford, they will then write to be with a number, was going to go and complain about my waste of time but forgot to turn off so just came home to find a letter telling me to go for screening and take letter with me! So GP had done it!

Anyway, it says can't drive for 2 hours and need dark glasses, will i be ok to drive later in the day? does it hurt?

Thanks
Julie x

Hi Julie,

Sometimes they need to put drops in your eyes to enlarge the pupils, and this can make everything very VERY bright for at least a couple of hours afterwards - make sure you take some good sunglasses, especialy if it's a day like today! It can sting a little if they use drops, but not too bad. They may not need to use the drops if your pupils enlarge suffieciently by themselves when they shine a light in them.

I don't drive, but wouldn't have wanted to for at least 3-4 hours after (again, if drops used - think you're OK if not, ask the guy)

I had it done a couple of months back, the drops did not hurt me at all.

But i had to wear sunglasses for a few hours and was very difficult to focus on things close up, ie reading as you can imagine with large pupils, but only lasted couple of hours. No hardship and worth it to check out eyes. 🙂

Julie, one more tip - if it is very bright/sunny then you may find a hat with a brim useful in addition to sun glasses. Difficult to say whether you will be able to drive later in the day as it will depend how rapidly the drops wear off for you - personally I would allow more like 4 or 5 hours than 2

Julie, one more tip - if it is very bright/sunny then you may find a hat with a brim useful in addition to sun glasses. Difficult to say whether you will be able to drive later in the day as it will depend how rapidly the drops wear off for you - personally I would allow more like 4 or 5 hours than 2

Oh and a false moustache would be good too! he he, sorry couldnt resist, my warped sense of humour. :D:D

Thanks guys, dark glasses, baseball cap and false moustache, ill wear my brown rain mac to be double safe!

Last tiem I went they didn't need to put drops in, it's worth asking if they can ahve a look without them. my eyes dilated enough on their own and they could get good pictures.

I've just had another one done at Specsavers - I told them I was diabetic and they just gave me a letter to give my GP to say they had done it? They use much kinder drops there than at my diabetic clinic - didnt sting a bit. Although the sunlight did make me utter an expletive when I didnt put my shades on quick enough when exiting the shop! And I would give more than the recommended 2 hours - mine take at least 3 to get back to normal.

Does anyone know...

You know how Specsavers do buy one get one free? do you have to have your tests done there to get that offer? Because id like some new glasses!

i did katie had eyes test in the may and got the specs in the june . i know there accept other scrips from other opticians not to sure if you have to have test/glasses all at specsavers though

i had it done first time last week the drops made my eyes sting a little and it took 4 hours for my eyes to go back to normal i forgot to take sunglasses so it really hurt my eyes when i went outside so definately take sunglasses. I tried to test my blood sugar an hour later and found it impossible because I couldn't focus on my finger which was horrible so all in all glad we only have to do it once a year!

Well I had this kind of screening years ago when my consultant for deaf peoples wanted me to get my eyes checked since I wore hearing aids. It was a cloudy day and my eyes still hurt on the way out. :(

Got my first diabetic retinopathy appointment in late July. Mum will take me and hopefully I'll have some specs by then. 🙂

Does anyone know...

You know how Specsavers do buy one get one free? do you have to have your tests done there to get that offer? Because id like some new glasses!

Hi, I got a BOGOF from Boots some ars ago, and got the 2nd pair as prescription sunglasses which i take with me to retinopathy screening. Very short-sighted and usually wear contact lenses.

Last BOGOFs i got from Boots were realy expensive - it was only the frames that were free, is it the same at Specsavers?

Does anyone know...

Once you have your prescription, you sould be able to go to any opticians. They will be only too glad of your business.

As to the test, I hate them. I find the drops hurt, and the test leaves me with a headach for up to a day afterwards, but I am quite sensitive to light anyway.

Also, if you use a computer for work, it is recomended avoid it. I usually take a day or afternoon off (also as I would have to drive back to the office afterwards anyway).

Hopefully though, things will ot be as bad for you. I think I am at the extreme end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back