retinopathy eye screening question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnyp

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I have my first eye screening next month and was just curious what to be expect after? I know I won't be able to drive for some hours after but what about working in general? I'm staring at a computer screen all day for work so wondering if I'd be able to work after or will need to take rest of the day off? The appointment is late morning so I'll still have all the afternoon to get through.

Also are the results given during the appointment or sent through the post?

Thanks.

Hi all, I have my first eye screening next month and was just curious what to be expect after? I know I won't be able to drive for some hours after but what about working in general? I'm staring at a computer screen all day for work so wondering if I'd be able to work after or will need to take rest of the day off? The appointment is late morning so I'll still have all the afternoon to get through.

Also are the results given during the appointment or sent through the post?

Thanks.
Different people react differently, but I always find it’s the glare that’s worse than any blurriness afterwards. I can normally read clearly again after about an hour.
They don’t give you the results at the time, the images are sent across to the hospital to be looked at by an expert. Some screeners won’t tell you anything, others will give you a general indication whether all is well, with the proviso that they haven’t been looked at by the experts yet, it just depends who you get on the day.

As already said, we all react differently. If at all worried, then perhaps change your apt to late afternoon thus not having eye strain from dilated pupils.
The people doing the screening where I live will show you the photos and point out any problems if they see any, telling you at the same time that you will have a letter in the post after a radiologist has looked at the photos more closely.

The lovely gentleman who does my screening compared last year's photos with this and said no change that I can see. A letter arrived in the post a couple of days later to say see you again in a years' time.

Like @Robin I generally have more impact from light-sensitivity than blurriness. Do make sure you take dark glasses if it’s a daytime appointment - no matter how cloudy it is on the way there, you can guarantee the sun will be out once your appointment is over!

Hopefully you’ll find the drops wear off quickly enough, and things will be sharp and crisp after an hour or two.

It took a good couple of hours for the blurriness to go for me, so I used flexitime to finish my work in the evening when I could read the computer screen properly again

I had dilated pupils for many hours so there is no way I could do anything with a computer screen. I looked like one of those googgly eyed toys. But everybody reacts in a different way.

My experience has varied. I think it depends how much of the drops they put in your eyes.
On one occasion, I was still unable to use my computer after 4 hours but, most of the time, I can log back in as soon as I get to my home office and make a cuppa (about 40 minutes)... As long as I wear sunglasses (yes, even indoors).

No computer for me for 4 hours or so - just can't see through the blurriness.

had my first one in June took about 4 hours to clear blur. Results sent to surgery and I got a letter.

Hi , clearly the process effects different people in different ways.

I was instructed not to drive for 6 hours after the test.It does state this in the letter received regarding the appointment.

Thanks guys, think I'll just keep checking to see if a later afternoon appointment becomes available and discuss with my manager.
How old are you? Not everyone has the drops, I have the test without drops and can go back to work after. I’m 35, as you get older though it’s more likely to need to drops.

How old are you? Not everyone has the drops, I have the test without drops and can go back to work after. I’m 35, as you get older though it’s more likely to need to drops.
I'm 37, I guess I'll just see what happens in the day.

It was bright sunny when I had mine.... I didn't even notice until I was half way home when I just used a hand to block the sun on one side of my face, my wife couldn't even tell mine were dilated. It was only a 15 min walk home.

After I got home I just shut the blinds and carried on.

I was told by the tech I have a high pain threshold because the drops didn't sting me. It takes longer to work on dark eyes and also takes longer to wear off.

Will need sun glasses because of bright light outside. Had mine done otherday but no foot check and got bruise on ball of foot Type 1. I used to get both done same time,

Thanks for all your input guys. Had it this morning and wasn't as bad as I thought, slight blurry vision and had some sensitivity to light but not enough to warrant using sunglasses.
When I had mine done i had the drops put in and sent outside for about 15 minutes. During this time I was still able to read and do the crossword in the paper. When I was called in the the technician taking the photo was amazed, checked my eyes said they were dilated but said it was unusual for someone to see small print. I just laughed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back