• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

retinopathy eye exam

Genie10

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've been diabetic for 15 years and every year so far I have had a retinopathy eye examination at this time of year. But not this year. I'm wondering if everyone has had their diabetic retinopathy exam cancelled or is it just in my area?

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It's happened all over the place: screenings have been postponed, with those deemed more at risk (those with changes in the last scan, for example) getting priority. (There's a longer term intent to do some screenings at longer intervals (2 years, say) but I think that's longer term.)

Fagor

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It's two years since my last NHS retinopathy. But optician (seen yearly) also does what appears the same checks (appointment next week).

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It seems to vary. Most areas have at least had their retinal scans delayed and most seem to have prioritised those who have seen problems in the recent past.
Obviously, there are a few "most"s in that last paragraph but that is because every area/CCG handles diabetes differently.
But, I expect my next retinal scan to be more than 12 months after my last one.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been diabetic for 15 years and every year so far I have had a retinopathy eye exam at this time. But not this year. Has everyone else had their retinopathy exams cancelled. Or is it just in my area?
It varies, I had an appointment for early April last year but doubted it would go ahead, it was duly cancelled before the date. Mine has been postponed to this year as I am classed as low risk as had no previous concerns flagged. There has been some talk of reducing low risk to two yearly anyway. My local screening has information on its website , it would be worth you checking.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been diabetic for 15 years and every year so far I have had a retinopathy eye exam at this time. But not this year. Has everyone else had their retinopathy exams cancelled. Or is it just in my area?
You seem to have started to threads, you have now got replies on both!

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had my latest one 2 days ago, 17 months late.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Mine was cancelled last year - April for me too I think - but before Xmas, I had an appointment come through for the 19th of this month ! - next Tuesday - and I haven't got or had problems, other than background retinopathy which after nearly 50 years with not always brilliant control constantly isn't (in my view) all that terrible!

They said when originally cancelling it would be till this year, so it was a nice surprise.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Genie10

This was shared on social media recently about the prioritising of screening restarts. Hope it helps :)

Covid-19-EyeScreeningRestart.jpg

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm an R1 clearly - must be running out of pregnant ladies and the newly diagnosed !

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have mine next week, last one was May 2019 so 20 months ago if my maths is right. I’m in the high risk group due to retinopathy being a side effect of medication I take.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have mine next week, last one was May 2019 so 20 months ago if my maths is right. I’m in the high risk group due to retinopathy being a side effect of medication I take.
Can I ask what drug is that can cause Retinopathy?

Becka

My next screening will be at the start of February, a year after my last one.

But I guess I must be an R1, whatever that is, as I have had "some background retinopathy" since I was diagnosed, save for my second screening when I guess my eyes apparently had a very good year before deciding it was not worth the effort any more.

Are there levels of R, then, like with kidney disease? Though having to go out during shielding for the screening seems counter to trying to keeping the R down.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My next screening will be at the start of February, a year after my last one.

But I guess I must be an R1, whatever that is, as I have had "some background retinopathy" since I was diagnosed, save for my second screening when I guess my eyes apparently had a very good year before deciding it was not worth the effort any more.

Are there levels of R, then, like with kidney disease? Though having to go out during shielding for the screening seems counter to trying to keeping the R down.
Yes they are different levels.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can I ask what drug is that can cause Retinopathy?
Hiya. Ozempic has increased frequency of retinopathy as a side effect, and have to have extra eye checks because of that.

Attachments

• 5CFA88C6-FF1B-4080-A2B2-B4CEC332037E.png
    5CFA88C6-FF1B-4080-A2B2-B4CEC332037E.png
    177 KB · Views: 3

Taffy67

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've been diabetic for 15 years and every year so far I have had a retinopathy eye examination at this time of year. But not this year. I'm wondering if everyone has had their diabetic retinopathy exam cancelled or is it just in my area?
I have been waiting since Dec 2019 when my appointment suppose to be.