Retinopathy Clinc

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPixels

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Ho hum, off to the Retinopathy Clinic tomorrow, somewhat reluctantly, because I've been in my local Eye Hospital for other problems on 4 or five occasions in the past few months. I had to laugh when the consultant I saw on my last visit to the EH said, when I told her about going, that "they might not pick anything up we don't already know about". Guess these interventions to monitor the state of my health as T2 are now par for the course from now on...

I have always viewed the various screenings, blood tests, etc. as being proactive tests which I otherwise would not have been having. So, in a perverse way, I feel that I am getting good healthcare which will pick up any issues early and mean earlier treatment and less problems. i guess it’s just my way of putting a positive spin on this diabetes game!

Good luck tomorrow, hope all goes well for you!

Back from the clinic. What might happen next? No explanation of whether or when the images take of my retina will get looked at. Do they do another in a year's time and make a comparison?

Back from the clinic. What might happen next? No explanation of whether or when the images take of my retina will get looked at. Do they do another in a year's time and make a comparison?
I always find the guys who do the scan are keen to chat. I guess it can be a very dull job.
So, I ask what they do with the images. Yes, they do look at them.
It is slightly different in England than Scotland. In England they manually look at the photographs by two independent people. If they see a problem, or if they disagree, a third person will review. Then you will get a letter within 3 weeks to say if they have seen anything or not. Be aware, this letter may say you have "background retinopathy". Whilst any type of retinopathy is not great, the background type can be reversed by looking after your diabetes.
In Scotland, as computer program looks at the scan and spots any issues. This program doesn't work in England because they take two photos per eye and the program cannot cope with the different angles.

As whether it is with the effort when you are already attending the eye clinic, I sit in the same boat as @Eternal422, I see it worth taking up the checks offered. As your eye consultant said, they might not pick up anything new. On the other hand, that's a "might" rather than a definitely not.

I hope your results are clear.

Most likely you'll get a letter in the next couple of weeks which'll tell you the results and when they'd like to see you next.

(If you have signs of background retinopathy, try not to panic at the language in the letter. Rather, look at when they want to see you again; if it's a year or two away then they're not worried too much.)

I had my first eye scan recently and, like Helli, found the person doing the scanning keen to chat! I asked her when I'd get the results, and how. She said I should receive a letter with the results within 3 weeks, if not I should ring my GP and get them to chase it up. And then I actually got the letter a week later.

Fingers crossed your letter arrives soon, says "no signs of diabetic eye disease", and next appointment next November!

In nearly 20 years I have never had any of the technicians try to chat. Though mine have been done in various locations, never in a proper clinic!

Most likely you'll get a letter in the next couple of weeks which'll tell you the results and when they'd like to see you next.

(If you have signs of background retinopathy, try not to panic at the language in the letter. Rather, look at when they want to see you again; if it's a year or two away then they're not worried too much.)
Thank you, I guessed that might be the case. I think the lady doing it all by herself was quite overwhelmed that she had little support...

thank you... I have other eye conditions that are being monitored on an ongoing basis.

I have always viewed the various screenings, blood tests, etc. as being proactive tests which I otherwise would not have been having. So, in a perverse way, I feel that I am getting good healthcare which will pick up any issues early and mean earlier treatment and less problems. i guess it’s just my way of putting a positive spin on this diabetes game!

Good luck tomorrow, hope all goes well for you!
Thank you...

Well, not received my letter yet, but just checking on the NHS app I see that my doctor has got it already! Just to give you an idea of what to expect, here’s an extract from the letter to my doctor :

15A6DDE4-5629-4930-9315-9301D2B9E6D9.jpeg

The usual letters I get just give a summary and from the above I would expect something along the lines of “some diabetic retinopathy …. Will call you for screening in 12 months”. Strange how the doctor got a letter dated Nov 15 and I am still waiting for my letter though!

Well, not received my letter yet, but just checking on the NHS app I see that my doctor has got it already! Just to give you an idea of what to expect, here’s an extract from the letter to my doctor :

View attachment 23044

The usual letters I get just give a summary and from the above I would expect something along the lines of “some diabetic retinopathy …. Will call you for screening in 12 months”. Strange how the doctor got a letter dated Nov 15 and I am still waiting for my letter though!
That’s just happened to me! It occurred to me it’s nearly three weeks since I had my screening, so went online to look at my notes. Sure enough, my GP has had a letter dated 18th Nov with a grid of results, like yours above, same wording, 'the patient has been informed….' well no, the patient is still waiting for the snail mail version to crawl through the letterbox.

Yeah I always get it in my nhs app first. I can’t usually see the letter though but on the health summary it says ‘right eye background retinopathy’ usually, whereas the letter doesn’t tell you if it’s one eye or both.

Yeah I always get it in my nhs app first. I can’t usually see the letter though but on the health summary it says ‘right eye background retinopathy’ usually, whereas the letter doesn’t tell you if it’s one eye or both.
I believe a recent change going live means you should now be able to usually see letters, though I think GPs can withhold them (but the default will be patients can see)

I believe a recent change going live means you should now be able to usually see letters, though I think GPs can withhold them (but the default will be patients can see)
I see some letters but not all. Some just say not available to view through the app. Not sure why.

View attachment 23044

I await with baited breath... Hopefully in a few weeks I should know more. Thank you...

Update. Results of Diabetic Eye Screening are back and the "test result appeared NORMAL" Follow up in twelve months time. The Eye Hospital follow up I had for another matter shows a likelyhood of Vitelliform Maculpoathy with a suggestion to be monitored in six months time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back