Retinal Screening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura22

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm due to have one done next Thursday.

My hospital letter gives a basic outline but can anyone elaborate on what happens? I'm good at having things in my eyes and can touch my eyeballs easily but am pretty nervous for some reason!

Thank you!

From my own experience, although it does vary:

I am told arrive 10 minutes before appointment time. Every time I go I need drops, although not every one does. They sting like mad, but it soon eases. I am also asked a few general questions to confirm who my GP is and where I live and my date of birth. When the drops have had a chance to do their work (normally about 10-15 minutes) you are called backe and a camera is positioned in front of your face. Pictures are taken of each eye, you will probably be told to follow a coloured light.

If you are like the operator will be nice and explain what's going on and let you see the pictures, but lots of people are unlucky and get someone who just wants to get the job done or is a bit grumpy.

In a couple of weeks you will get a letter with the results. There are not normally any problems, but in the unlikely event there are, you will be advised what to do next.

I must emphasise take a pair of sun glasses with you or you wont be able to see where you are going

If the centre is out of the way get someone to drive you or take a taxi or the bus.

Hi Laura, I went to the local optician as they were on the list provided. He insisted on doing a full eye test first and tried to flog me new glasses although my current ones are less than a year old.

He put in the drops that really stung but by the time I had blinked and thought "ouch" the sting had gone. Then sat for a while in reception and was called in by an underling who placed me in front of the camera, rest your chin, blah blah, bright light and then on to the next eye.

Do take sunglasss with you and don't even think of driving. Huge pupils but eyes settled down after 3 or 4 hours. I felt quite cool wearing my sunglasses and kept them on inside if facing a window etc.

I find things like that nerve wracking the first time but certainly won't be anxious going for the next one in about a years' time.

I don't own a pair of sunglasses! lol

Hi Laura cant add much to what caroline says thats preety much how mine went, if you dont own a pair of sun glasses places like primark do them for no more then a fivva.
Good luck i know how you feel i felt the same when i had my appointment.

LOL- problem is- I am VERY short sighted and need prescription sunnies lol

LOL- problem is- I am VERY short sighted and need prescription sunnies lol

I have that problem too, I have got myself a cheap pair from Glassesdirect now. I have not had to have the drops for about 10 years now - fingers crossed you wont have to either. Do you have a sunhat you could take with you just in case.

Another thing I don't own lol.

Oh dear!

My appointment is this thursday 😱 dont like the idea of drops in my eyes 😱

My appointment is this thursday 😱 dont like the idea of drops in my eyes 😱

just take sunglasses like caroline said hun, and good luck, the lady/man will be very reassuring so will try and ease all your nervessness x

well least you have till next Thursday to get a hat.

you know what they say (if you want to get ahead get a hat)
But seriously it is usually over pretty quick with no problems.

just take sunglasses like caroline said hun, and good luck, the lady/man will be very reassuring so will try and ease all your nervessness x
I wont 4get my sunnies, not looking 4ward to the stinging drops lol do i need luck then??? lol ty 'digs out passport to make 1's ecsape' lol

Im only being polite when i say good luck.😛

I know lol thanx for trying to put me at ease.... 'puts passport back' :D

I have no money until next Friday (ironically!) to get a hat/sunnies. Uh ohh!

Doubt it. We don't tend to wear hats often lol

Might just have to suffer :(

I have to be honest now and say i never actually took hat nor sun glasses with me, i just had my usual glasses on and i was ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back