Resveratrol can help correct hormone imbalance in women with polycystic ovary syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Resveratrol -- a natural compound found in red wine and grapes -- can help address a hormone imbalance in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), a leading cause of infertility in women, according to a new study published in the Endocrine Society's Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

An estimated 5 million to 6 million women in the United States have PCOS, according to the Hormone Health Network. It is one of the most common endocrine conditions in women of childbearing age.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161018143436.htm

Well, about time too. Seems such a simple treatment. But how do you discover this serendipitously?

Mind you, if this reduces endogenous testosterone, normal fertile women will be sticking it in their partners coffee.

Well that sounds remarkable. The only thing I couldn't understand was why the placebo group had such big increases in the measured things - whilst I appreciate that they will change in time, that they increase that much so quickly has surprised me - but I haven't a clue whether that is the natural progression of PCOS on the body anyway.

Anyone?

Don't look at me Jen, gynae was just an arcane mystery. The only thing I learned was BKDG as a sign of pevic inflammatory disease.

And that is the mega problem with their GPs that ladies face every day of the week, Mike.

All I could get out of my own GP over 5 years was 'Oh, well some women DO have heavier periods Mrs S' - Thank you for those words of wisdom Doctor - actually I have known that for a fact since I was 11 - and lived with it for the last 35 years as you suggest we have to. However - dripping blood clots on my beige carpet when I get out of bed in a morning and rush to the bathroom has been a lot more recent experience!

Good ole BUPA. (First husband was in it through his work)

Am I likely to need to know ? It's quite likely somewhat derogatory bearing in mind some of the acronyms used by 'those in the know' in the past, so - do I WANT to know? - I asked myself and the answer I received was a resounding Quite likely - NOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back