• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Results interpretation please

Leelee123

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi All,
I hope all are well.
Long and short, I am at risk of diabetes and so started to wear a CGM now age 30yo to monitor and correct any potential issues before they arise (if not already).

I am waking with a fasting level of 5.9-6.9mmol/L,
Raising to 6.6-7.4mmol/L after breakfast of eggs and vegetables or avocado, 1 slice.

Averaging out to around 5.5 mmol/L until lunch, after it can peak up to 8.6mmol/L at highest, it returns to average within Approx 90 mins.

Back to between 5.6-6.4mmol/L before bed.

Can someone advise if these readings are anything to be concerned about? As I am concerned about “flattening” spikes throughout the day, if they are an issue. I have attached two days readings.

Appreciate thoughts, as I am very much in the learning process, unfortunately I have zero faith in the Drs, as they haven’t been able to shed any light on my queries.

Many thanks

Attachments

• C2519945-1C8D-4850-8788-240BCE706CFA.png
    C2519945-1C8D-4850-8788-240BCE706CFA.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 5BEE80A3-687E-4C40-9CA4-7F48187F5135.png
    5BEE80A3-687E-4C40-9CA4-7F48187F5135.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 8A788E05-DBF5-499C-805B-519C6DB02AD1.png
    8A788E05-DBF5-499C-805B-519C6DB02AD1.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 9
Your blood sugars are normal. Everyone’s blood sugar goes up and down through the day. Think you’re wasting your money buying libre sensors, I would ask the GP to do a hba1c if you have symptoms or concerns about diabetes.

Agree with @Lucyr.

The lower threshold for pre-diabetes is an HbA1c of 42, which equates to average mmol/L of around 7.0. You seem to be comfortably under that so if you've made lifestyle changes to get there, it's worked. So unless there's more to this than your post suggests, Libre seems a complete waste of money & effort. If you still want to keep an occasional eye on things for peace of mind, a simple glucose meter would do the job.

Can someone advise if these readings are anything to be concerned about?
No, they look normal (i.e., normal for someone who doesn't have diabetes) to me. (There have been at least a trial or two where people without diabetes wore CGMs, and your readings are within the range they showed. If you did have diabetes and you showed those readings to a consultant they'd say you're doing fine and to keep doing whatever you're doing.)

Agree with the others. Those readings are just about what you might expect from a non-diabetic so keep doing what you are doing now!

Your blood sugars are normal. Everyone’s blood sugar goes up and down through the day. Think you’re wasting your money buying libre sensors, I would ask the GP to do a hba1c if you have symptoms or concerns about diabetes.
Thank you very much indeed for your reply.
This is my first CGM, and results dependents for whether I would purchase another, I suspect I wouldn’t need to. I have made lifestyle changes and these are reflecting in my overall health and it’s reassuring to read from experienced individuals that I am on the right track.

I have on a side note, been listening to various podcasts and reading several books promoting health and so on, that CGMs are a great way to find optimal performance and health. Huberman Lab, glucose goddess etc … so whilst they may be expensive, if you can afford them as a non diabetic whom may be concerned you may be at risk in your later life, they could be a way to find the motivation you need to make the lifestyle changes needed, as from what i understand glucose is the driver of many unfortunate health risks.

Just my opinions and thoughts, as it’s a poorly understood topics among the youth and ought to be taught heavily at school in my opinion.

No, they look normal (i.e., normal for someone who doesn't have diabetes) to me. (There have been at least a trial or two where people without diabetes wore CGMs, and your readings are within the range they showed. If you did have diabetes and you showed those readings to a consultant they'd say you're doing fine and to keep doing whatever you're doing.)
Thank you Bruce, this is certainly reassuring.

Agree with @Lucyr.

The lower threshold for pre-diabetes is an HbA1c of 42, which equates to average mmol/L of around 7.0. You seem to be comfortably under that so if you've made lifestyle changes to get there, it's worked. So unless there's more to this than your post suggests, Libre seems a complete waste of money & effort. If you still want to keep an occasional eye on things for peace of mind, a simple glucose meter would do the job.

Thank you, I’m guessing spikes above 7.0 after food is normal then, and not a reason for concern.

Thank you, I’m guessing spikes above 7.0 after food is normal then, and not a reason for concern.
Indeed. The target for a T2 diabetic is to be below 8.5 two hours after eating.

Co-incidentally, a thread was started yesterday discussing a video in which Jessie Inchauspé discussed some of the ideas behind the book. A flat line is very much not what is recommended & nigh impossible to achieve.

Last edited:
I have on a side note, been listening to various podcasts and reading several books promoting health and so on, that CGMs are a great way to find optimal performance and health. Huberman Lab, glucose goddess etc … so whilst they may be expensive, if you can afford them as a non diabetic whom may be concerned you may be at risk in your later life, they could be a way to find the motivation you need to make the lifestyle changes needed, as from what i understand glucose is the driver of many unfortunate health risks.

Just my opinions and thoughts, as it’s a poorly understood topics among the youth and ought to be taught heavily at school in my opinion.
Undoubtedly CGM has been a game changer for many type 1 diabetics where the short term need to balance food intake with insulin dosing and controlling the risk of "going hypo" is paramount.

Does not really apply to T2's where the aims are more long term. Yes, knowing the effect of changes gives the sort of feedback which can provide motivation, but that can be obtained from the much simpler and much less expensive finger prick testing. Don't forget, the primary motivation in the podcasts, youtube videos and the like is to hook you into buying regularly something hat is quite expensive. You need to be sure that such things really are worthwhile before committing.

There have been a number of studies published by people with diabetes using Libre. These often show very short spikes up to 9 mmol/l with high carb meals.
Your numbers appear to be of little concern but.
- you appear to be eating low carb so it is unclear if your body can tolerate higher/normal carb diet. If you are happy to continue with low carb, that is no problem. However, if this is a challenge it may impact your mental health.
- you have only shared point readings. The value of CGMs is the graphs: the ability to see your numbers at all times not just when you swipe. Yes, the advice for people with type 2 is regarding levels 2 hours after eating. My understanding is this is a good approximation of the time when most foods would be digested. But foods digest at different rates and the advice is based on finger pricks which it is unfeasible to do every 5 minutes. CGMs provide the data to see when your spikes happen and how long they last.
- CGMs are not as accurate as finger pricks, especially during the first couple of days. I do not know when, in the life of the sensor, your screenshots were taken but it is a good idea to review the full 2 weeks not just a single day.

As others have said, there does not seem to be a problem but I wanted to add these caveats

They are, yes. Among people without diabetes, some had higher spikes (over 10) sometimes (presumably for particular meals).

Thank you very much indeed for your reply.
This is my first CGM, and results dependents for whether I would purchase another, I suspect I wouldn’t need to. I have made lifestyle changes and these are reflecting in my overall health and it’s reassuring to read from experienced individuals that I am on the right track.

Possibly the fault lies in people that feel the need to label themselves "goddess"
That really suggests a massive personal insecurity, and the need to cultivate a following to massage an ego, rather than offer constructive information.
Your figures are perfectly normal.

As to teaching about diabetes in school, addressing a healthy lifestyle to cover many health aspects, not just diabetes, is a far better method than introducing a unnecessary personal test regime, especially as there is unfortunately a lot of misinformation on social media about targets, and sadly that is where it is really misunderstood.

I'm confused about what you refer to as a 'Spike' - a spike is when your blood glucose suddenly shoots up by a LARGE amount for no reason whatsoever. So eg if it's bumbling along at 5-ish and then shoots up to double figures and stays there for some time without moving either way and you haven't eg eaten a piece of your great granddaughter's 5th birthday cake, broken your leg in the interim or something else equally traumatic.

(I ate that very small half a piece of cake on Saturday afternoon - it WAS mega sweet and I wrongly assumed the maker (her grandma) would have pre-warned me how many tons of sugar were in it! And - No Way Pedro did I have a bit with icing on it. Yuk, Yuk and thrice Yuk.........)

Those are normal blood sugars @Leelee123 Why would you want to flatten perfectly normal spikes? That’s what blood sugar is supposed to do - go up and down in response to food, exercise, stress, etc. After a meal it can go up to the 10s sometimes in people without diabetes. I was told that at diagnosis when I asked what was normal. At diagnosismy blood sugar was approaching 30. That’s definitely not normal. Your blood glucose is :)

You say you’re at risk of diabetes - why? If you’re overweight, carrying extra weight round your waist, family history, etc, you can change some of those things. I see you’re eating low carb - is that to lose weight?

TBF, lots of the dietary advice online is dodgy. People try to sell things, they monetise their own eating disorders or play on other people’s insecurities, they set up whole websites with dubious ‘facts’, etc. Follow the basic guidance to eat a balanced diet with plenty of veg. A balanced diet includes carbs.

You’d be better off saving your money on CGMs and Flash GMs and paying for an annual HBA1C if you’re worried and want to keep an eye on things over the coming years.

Back