Result of seeing my DN yesterday was a positive outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I saw my DN yesterday armed with some questions for her and one of them was my battle with weight loss so she has referred me to see a dietician and also has put my name down for part of what's called an Active Lifestyle scheme run in conjunction with the GP and local Leisure Centre which means i will be able to use the gym at no cost or very little cost and the time offered to me will be evenings and weekends as i work full-time so along with everything else i'm trying to do to lose weight, i hope that this will give me that push i need to help me along.

That's great news Carina! I'm sure it will really help to motivate you and help you achieve your goals 🙂 Great to hear of a positive approach by your healthcare team!

thanks Northerner, i was quite surprised by it all to be honest but i felt very relieved to be getting as much help as i need 🙂 I also mentioned about whether it was best to test at 1 hour or 2 hourly intervals after eating and as soon as i said it i thought oh dear i've made a mistake cos she then said the usual "why are you testing, you shouldn't be testing at all, you'll only damage your fingers" so i abandoned that and hastily moved on lol! 🙂

Given that you are testing, she could have answered your question properly! I truly can't see any objection to testing if you are using the results to help you manage your diabetes. If test strips were as cheap as chips, I'm sure everyone would be encouraged to test and given proper education to do it.

Don't be embarrassed about testing! You are doing it for a reason, so be positive about it.

After all, we do need to educate all the GPs and DSNs out there who think (or are told) that we don't need to test! :D

Andy

Just wonderered - Is it seeming to be in the midlands that we are being told not to test -or is this throughout the country?

I spoke to a diabetic nurse the other day who has absolutely nothing to do with my care and she said the same - T2 dont need to test unless on drugs that cause hypo's.??

Just wonderered - Is it seeming to be in the midlands that we are being told not to test -or is this throughout the country?

I spoke to a diabetic nurse the other day who has absolutely nothing to do with my care and she said the same - T2 dont need to test unless on drugs that cause hypo's.??

From what I've gathered from reading people's experiences here it's not so much where you are, but what your doctor or nurse believe. Sometimes they don't even agree with each other! Those that don't agree with it rely on an old (and largely discredited, I believe) study that found that a lot of T2s who test get depressed about the results (put very simply!).

Theres a tonne of diffirences of opinion all over the UK on testing from what i can gather, im not to sure if it is mainly in the midlands, are the members on here from the midlands being denied as well as lucy??

Should it not be a case of same options for all? i.e why should one person be allowed them and not others who are exactly the same diabetically (??). It just makes me so cross and think there should be an overall ruling on it (but not if it means those that get strips would then be denied of course).

Is it just cost though - as I get the opinion my nurse would tell me off even if I didn't want a presecription and self funded.

Should it not be a case of same options for all? i.e why should one person be allowed them and not others who are exactly the same diabetically (??). It just makes me so cross and think there should be an overall ruling on it (but not if it means those that get strips would then be denied of course).

Is it just cost though - as I get the opinion my nurse would tell me off even if I didn't want a presecription and self funded.

I guess in a perfect world yes it should be the same for all but it simply is not, others have to fight tooth and nail to get strips some even going down the route of ebay and paying upto ?25 while john down the road can get 100 on prescription,something does need to be done cost is usually the main reason, but is a box of test strips that bad if it is saving a diabetic a world of heartache.we have enough stress to cope with without having to fight for im my opinion the most important tool in knowing our BS levels and maintaining good control.

If anyone tried to tell me off for testing with self-funded strips, they'd get an earfull! Politely, of course! :D

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back