Restless legs at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Anyone get these and what do they do ? I’m exhausted and to say I fear them and the cramps so much is mild . Night times are a nightmare. That’s even before I fall asleep or during the night I wake with cramp and now also this . Diabetes is worse than old age at coming alone .

Anyone get these and what do they do ? I’m exhausted and to say I fear them and the cramps so much is mild . Night times are a nightmare. That’s even before I fall asleep or during the night I wake with cramp and now also this . Diabetes is worse than old age at coming alone .
Absolute killer isn't it.
I find the only way is to get up and walk about and drink some water but it tends to happen if my feet are cold because I have thrown off the duvet.
I used to get them when pregnant (50 years ago) and was given magnesium and vitamin C and there is some evidence that it can help but also other vitamin or mineral deficiencies can aggravate cramp.

Cramp , I’m up like I come out of a gun . It might be the cold I thought it was more the way I stretch my legs as it grips when I move . The restless legs on the other hand I was putting where it was colder . I’ll look into vitamins . But totally agree it’s no fun

I suffered with cramps long before I was diagnosed with diabetes but it's become worse this past few weeks. Last night was awful. I was up so many times with cramp in both legs and feet. I'm almost certain it's an electrolyte (vitamin) issue particularly now I'm on a diet and probably having less vitamins than I should. I've paced around the house and garden during the night and ended up sleeping sitting up. I never wanted to join his old age club let alone the diabetic one!!!

I suffered with cramps long before I was diagnosed with diabetes but it's become worse this past few weeks. Last night was awful. I was up so many times with cramp in both legs and feet. I'm almost certain it's an electrolyte (vitamin) issue particularly now I'm on a diet and probably having less vitamins than I should. I've paced around the house and garden during the night and ended up sleeping sitting up. I never wanted to join his old age club let alone the diabetic one!!!
I have thought that too that it is the diet I take and maybe how much walking do, however, but I think fluids might be the problem, If my diabetes was better controlled I think I may keep a better balance of fluid as sometimes I think I pee for England. I also worry if it has to do with neuropathy and if have I done damage. My blood sugars and not bad but chronic and I have not got my bmmols down to 4 -8 consistently ever which is what people here achieve. I may have to resort to the medication they have offered and I have tried some but none I get on with.

Try some magnesium gel or spray at night. Build up to the dose gradually. Also, try a B complex vitamin, and make sure you’re having enough salt in this hot weather. It helps a lot.

I find magnesium spray helps but mine is definitely restless legs not cramp so I don’t know how much it would help cramps.

I researched it but there is not much evidence . Magnesium has difficulty being absorbed by mouth . I’ll look for a spray for the restless legs . It might help after the cramp but it comes and goes . I must admit as the hot weather has eased I’ve had two nights free. However I am increasing fluid intake too.

I have thought that too that it is the diet I take and maybe how much walking do, however, but I think fluids might be the problem, If my diabetes was better controlled I think I may keep a better balance of fluid as sometimes I think I pee for England. I also worry if it has to do with neuropathy and if have I done damage. My blood sugars and not bad but chronic and I have not got my bmmols down to 4 -8 consistently ever which is what people here achieve. I may have to resort to the medication they have offered and I have tried some but none I get on with.
You describe exactly how I am regarding peeing for England and worrying it’s neuropathy. Doctor doesn’t seem concerned but she wasn’t when I had cancer and didn’t think it was anything so that doesn’t fill me with confidence. I use the cramp sprays with magnesium. I think they work a lot of the time but sometimes if the cramp is severe they don’t. I start the night by using the spray before I’ve even had cramp. If I get up to the loo I use it again. Last night I sprayed every half hour but it didn’t stop the cramps. It’s a bit hit and miss. I have a folic deficiency and that can cause cramp too but for some reason the tablets get me running to the loo every 10 minutes now (they hadn’t used to) so that puts me off.

I researched it but there is not much evidence . Magnesium has difficulty being absorbed by mouth . I’ll look for a spray for the restless legs . It might help after the cramp but it comes and goes . I must admit as the hot weather has eased I’ve had two nights free. However I am increasing fluid intake too.

Magnesium and a combination of other things has helped my nighttime cramps. If you find them really bad, try taking a freeze pak in two plastic bags to bed with you and rest your feet on or near it. The coolness helps too.

Magnesium and a combination of other things has helped my nighttime cramps. If you find them really bad, try taking a freeze pak in two plastic bags to bed with you and rest your feet on or near it. The coolness helps too.
Thank you that sounds lovely

With my neurological problems in my legs I get a lot of cramps, and restless toes. I can stop them with a 900mg capsule of CBD oil from Healthspan. I get them on subscription, but it’s £59 for a months supply at a twice daily requirement. You may need to take one at night, but I find them highly effective against cramps (or in my case spasticity). No side effects.

With my neurological problems in my legs I get a lot of cramps, and restless toes. I can stop them with a 900mg capsule of CBD oil from Healthspan. I get them on subscription, but it’s £59 for a months supply at a twice daily requirement. You may need to take one at night, but I find them highly effective against cramps (or in my case spasticity). No side effects.
Does it alter your blood sugars ?

I get cramp a fair bit. The trouble is that we are all encouraged to avoid salt for BP reasons. It can be made worse by the hot weather as we sweat all the salt out. I usually put a bit of weight on the limb, but If I find the cramp won't shift then I take a teaspoon of table salt and wash it down with weak no sugar added squash. It's unpleasant but the taste goes fairly quickly, as does the cramp. I keep a container of salt by the bed.

Have you had your ferritin levels and magnesium levels checked? These can be the two biggest causes of RLS, the other can be some medications, for me opiates were a big issue but I still get symptoms when my magnesium levels drop (can be caused by my omeprazole medication).
There are meds can get given if desperate especially if you twitch and jerk in your sleep but a natural treatment through diet and/ or magnesium spreads or creams is what my dr prefers and it does help unless I have other medical issues playing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back