Status
Not open for further replies.

PerSpinasAdAstra

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi all,

I came across this study about the possible effects of Metformin in blunting muscle growth in response to progressive resistance training (PRT) and wondered if anyone has run into this effect:

Excerpts:
In the absence of RT, metformin appears to delay lean mass loss in men with type 2 diabetes (Lee et al., 2011). However, when adults with prediabetes underwent concurrent aerobic and resistance training, metformin appeared to blunt exercise‐induced gains in lean mass (Malin, Gerber, Chipkin, & Braun, 2012).
In men and women aged 65 and older, 14 weeks of PRT induced the expected increases in muscle mass and strength. However, metformin administered along with PRT inhibited these gains. DXA showed that metformin gained significantly less total lean mass and less thigh muscle mass than placebo.
Metformin blunted reductions in the frequency of type I fibers, which typically contain more lipid than type II fibers (Schrauwen‐Hinderling, Hesselink, Schrauwen, & Kooi, 2006). Furthermore, placebo had significantly larger improvements in muscle density, assessed by CT. Since lower tissue density is associated with a more lipid‐rich environment, these findings suggest a greater decrease in muscle lipid content in placebo following PRT.

Has anyone experienced unusual trouble in gaining strength or muscle mass while on Metformin? I've only recently become interested in the topic when I became interested in reducing my levels of insulin resistance through exercise. Also, due to having to look forward to losing a whole lot of weight, which will leave me looking extremely scrawny as I currently have the mighty physique of the stereotypical obese IT worker 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back