resigned from work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmal31

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Basically since I was diagnosed just over a year ago i've been struggling to cope with diabetes and work and life in general. I had a week off after I cam eout of hopsital after first diagnosis and then I went straight back to work because my mum wanted me to which I know she was just trying to get me back to normal but it was a huge mistake because I took loads of time off after that anyway.

I don't feel that i've ever really quite come to terms with diabetes I think i've always pushed it to the back of my thoughts and priorities as well. Work were always a bit funny with me when I had more time off and I was made to feel that if i kept taking time off they would have to fire me becuase they sent me to occupational health and he said to them that it could all be sorted out within 3 months which was about 5 months ago now. Anyway the last two months I've been signed off work because my blood sugars have been absolutely terrible always up and down I think partly due to stress.

I decided about a week ago that i needed to resign because I was finding it hard to talk about work or my diabetes without crying and I was finding it hard even trying to eat. Even though I've left work now so I don't have to stress out about that I'm still struggling with my blood sugar levels and I keep getting upset about it all. I guess I just need some advice really and I'm wondering when it'll get better because I've had it a year now and I can't see it getting any better.

Thanks.

Hi there Emma so sorry to hear of your troubles and having to leave your job must of been a hard desicion, I cant really advise at the moment as i have only been diagnosed under a month and i dont feel it right for me to give out advice being such newly diagnosed , all i can say is it is very difficult when we are told we have this illness of course it changes our lives in so many ways,its a shame were you worked seemed to not understand i mean you dont do it on purpose but if you're ill you aint going to go intowork and carry on regardless it just would be no good in the long run .I do hope you have a good family network and good health team around you , I know you will always get some good advice off others on here,have you been offered any councelling ? could be a good idea or do you have a husband or other half im always chewing my fellas ear off lol , im like janine im only working part time at the mo could nothandle full time . sorry i could not of been more use xx

take care

Steff xx

Last edited:
Oh hun, u sound like uve been having a really awful time. Im sorry to hear u have had to give up work. I too am struggling to come to terms with it all and am very tearful most of the time. But I have found bein back at work has allowed me to get a bit of normality back in my life. However, im only working part time at present cos cannot cope with full time just yet. I have recently started councilling through my GP which so far has been very beneficial. I also talked to my other half about it alot as I dont feel I want to bother my friends with it.
Have u seeked any help with how u feel? I hope u feel better soon. x

hi janine,
I talk to my other half a lot about it and he try's to help but it doesn't really work. When i was first signed off work a couple of months ago I went in to try and explain that i thought i was suffering from depression to see what she suggested but I couldn't bring myself to say it I told her how upset I was and that I wasn't coping though but she didn't seem to pick up on the fact that I am pretty down about it even though I was in tears the whole conversation we had. Also I want help but I don't want to be put on anti depressants.

I think the worst thing is that I'm supposed to be getting married in a few weeks and it's supposed to be the happiest time of my life but I can't seem to snap out of feeling down about diabetes in general. Thank u janine very much for your support and to steff.

Emma, why don't you go back to your GP and see if you can explain how you are feeling now? You have had a tough time recently with your diagnosis, worrying about your work and stress

Depression is something most GPs deal with regularly and it is also more common in someone with a chronic disease or condition, especially one that involves such major changes to the way we have to manage our lives. Indeed, we are supposed to be screened for depression at our annual reviews. Anti depressants may help some people but they are not the only answer and counselling can help or you perhaps cognitive behaviour therapy which has been shown to be of significant value.

A few years back and before I was diagnosed with diabetes I had a significant depressive episode and was off work for 6 months. One of the things I found very helpful was a book "Depression for Dummies" - it helped me to realise that I was not simply being stupid, that I had something fairly commonplace and that I could take very small steps at a time to help me recover. After much resistance, I did take antidepressants for a few months and it did help as did counselling once I'd recovered enough to be able to make use of it

Hi Emma

Sorry to hear about your problems. I was also diagnosed as a young adult, although between jobs, and then found difficulty finding suitable work afterwards. There isn't much help or knowledge around, in either health or employment, because, basically, it's pretty rare for young adults to need to start on insulin.

I reckon it's important to speak with those close to you, but also to have access to more distant friends and also professionals - councellors etc; I didn't, as I was temporarily living with parents, having been overseas, with nearest friends over 100 miles away, internet or mobile phones not widely used (1996), no partner / boyfriend, little useful support from hospital etc. Life would have been a bit easier with any of those things. So, please use what facilities you have - definitely talk with GP, as they are the way to psychological support, both talking therapies and medication. As anti-depressants don't work immediately (3 weeks is normal before significant positive effect), it might be worth starting them, if suggested by your GP, while waiting for appointment with councillor, which may also take a few weeks. A GP is more likely to respond to a request for a specific course of action, even if they failed to pick up on your mood last time you went. Please continue to use this message board / private messages, as you choose. Self help books are also useful - such as Depression for Dummies, as suggested by Vanessa. Also, ensure that you are getting support from diabetes team eg asking about a DAFNE or other self-management course.

As a possible short cut to treatment, if you were a member of a trade union or professional body, do they have any way to access psychological support? Also, are you hoping to return to the same sort of work or retraining? Although it was a big move, for me, returning to university to get a higher degree was the right thing to do, but any sort of course gives a target to aim towards. Perhaps worth considering starting a course in September / October? At least making initial enquiries.

HI Emma

Sorry to hear you are having such bad experiences. Have you asked anyone about counselling? I would suggest asking the diabetic clinic rather than the GP. I asked my GP about it since I have been depressed for a while, he said the waiting list was so long there was no point in joining it and the only option was antidepressants. I haven't asked the clinic but I think maybe they would be able to refer you faster or refer you to a therapist who knows about diabetes. Is there a nurse or someone at the diabetes clinic you can talk to? Is DAFNE or any education course running in your area? Or the Diabetes UK Careline is very good for someone to talk to or to find help. Don't be to hard on yourself, diabetes is a really hard thing to cope with and you have only been diagnosed a year. It took me 14 years to even admit I had diabetes and start to learn about it.

I would also advise you to join a union if you haven't already so that if in future employers treat you unfairly you have someone to fight on your behalf. Did you enjoy your job? Maybe although this whole thing seems bad, it could give you a chance to reassess your life, study or find a new career once you have sorted your blood sugars out. Is there an urgent financial need for you to find another job or are you lucky enough to have someone to support you while you figure things out?

Welcome Emma xx

Hi Emma - I have had diabetes most of my life - and it's not so bad! I promise!

Here is a simple heads up on a few things that may help you -

The depression is highly likely to be a side affect of high blood sugars - that combined with the shock/anger and wave of emotion that you are obviously feeling.

Stress can also cause high blood sugars - I can go for days without having to eat - such as when my dad was dying.

My family suffers from depression and I know how debilitating it can be. I have had one epsiode of it (6 months after my dad died) - but because I did not want to go down the same route as my family I fought it - but eventually got anti depressants - I took them for as long as I needed and then came off them (they don't have to be for life - someimes a few months will help!). I knew I needed them to get me out of the gltch I was in - I was lucky having so much experience of it in my family - I knew the signs and recognised I needed a temorary prop. People are terrified and feel a faliure if they need anti depressants - I previously thought like that - (despite my family history!) but approaching them as a temporary prop really helped and they did their job!

I haven't touched 'em since!

I have not mentioned diet as there are so many conflicting sides to this debate - but read the posts on this board and decide yourself what you want to take on board.

My advise is to go back to your GP/DSN - tell them that you are not coping - and consider a temorary prop! Then the depression will not make everything else seem so huge.

Hope this helps - it is a bit brief...but a start for you I hope.

Your body is contending with many things at the mo - and you will get a grip on it I promise - I am so, so glad that you have joined this board and have reached out - everyone on here is great - and so supportive - and remember the only daft question is the one not asked!

As the other have said, DO go to your GP/DSN and tell them exactly how you are feeling and yes they may put you on anti-depressants, but that isnt bad, you would be surprised at how many people in the world are depressed and need help whether short term or long term.

I have been diagnosed 10 years and still deep down havent come to terms that I have diabetes but I know I need my insulin and tablets to survive and get on with life. When my mum died in 2006 I gave up and went for months being hit and miss with my insulin, not taking it for days at a time and not wanting to eat, I lost about 2.5 stones (sadly that has come back lol)...

Do seek help though..

I feel the same way about anti depressants. I had to take them a few years ago and I wouldnt want to again. Even though they were very beneficial.

I understand how u feel about getting married, I get married in 8 weeks and when I tried my dress on couple of months ago I was devastated cos it just fell off me with all the weight i have lost. I went home and cried. I did contemplate postponing but im glad I didnt. Ive been back today and although its gonna need alot of alterations I felt like a princess again like I did the first time I tried it (pre diagnosis!).
Getting married was part of the reason I asked my GP to refer me to councillin cos I wanted to make sure I could enjoy what should be the happiest day of my life. I also dont want to start married life as a misery guts! Cos I am at the minute. I would go and speak to your GP and make them understand how u feel. Like Vanessa said they deal with this thing everyday.

I would ask your DSN if your clinic has a psychologist or any counselling service attatched. I was offered around a year ago to see the one at mine, but decided it wasn't what i needed at the time. I have a friend who has recently had some diabetes counselling.

I have used medication in the past and was offered it last week as I'm having a wobble mood wise, by my GP but declined as for me it's generally not helpful.

Hopefully your DSN will also be able to help you with your blood sugars as being up and down will affect your mood.

Hi, sorry to hear about your problems. It can be tough sometimes. I was diagnosed about 3 years ago and comming up to easter too.

Things seem bad now but you will feel better soon. Where are you getting your diabetic care? Sometimes you just need someone who understands to talk to, so perhaps there is a counsellor or someone who will help you over this difficult time.

Keep comming here as there is a lot of experience on these boards and keep talkint to your GP and diabetic care team. Some folks take longer to come to terms with diabetes than others, but there is light at the end of the tunnel so hang on in there.

Remember also knowledge is power. Find out as much as you can and it wont be so bad.

I hope you feel better soon.

Hi Emma,

Im sorry to hear things arent going well. I can only echo the others in their sound advice regarding more help.

In my diabetes clinic I was referred to an excellent 'Medical Psychologist' within the clinic. I saw her for a one to one session and I sobbed my heart out! She recommended a couple of different routes for me, I could either continue one to one councilling or join her 'Psychological Support group'. I chose the group. It ran once a month for 6 months and was the start of me getting back on my feet again. Do you have access to such services?

Stay close and take care x

I have used medication in the past and was offered it last week as I'm having a wobble mood wise, by my GP but declined as for me it's generally not helpful.

I'm glad you turned down medication Nikki, I really feel it isn't helpful and if you can avoid it at all cost, it is for the best.

Ive been the most down ive ever been in my life, after my relationship ended, but i swore I wouldn't touch anything like anti-depressants. I'm glad I didn't and I *think* i'm through the worst. I came very close to sleeping tablets too but so far haven't touched them.

I really hope your mood lifts :)

How is it going Emma? I was just trying to search to if you had posted and I was wondering how you are? have you been able to pursue any help?

Thinking of you.

Katie - interesting view about anti-depressants and sleeping tablets. In many ways, anti-depressants do for mood and brain (often only needed in short term of a few months) what insulin and various oral hypoglycaemic agents do for blood glucose and pancreas (needed over lifetime). However, there a re also talking therapies for depression, and there is more scope for discussing and selecting treatment options, between patients and GPs etc. Although personally I have never needed any psychatric input / medication / counselling, I have seen such treatment literally save lives of people I know well.

Hi Emma

I have been diagnosed for 2 years in April and I think the first year I was just in denial, had quite a long honeymoon period so did not need to think about insulin/carbs etc.

Then last year had a terrible year with depression only now feel like I am coming out of this. I think I now am ready to learn about my diabeties and how to come to terms with it. Have an appointment with my DC next week and will be asking relevant questions.

Just to let you know it will get better and you have so much to look forward to.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back