Reservoir Sizes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
For those Medtronic pumpers I know there are two reservoirs for the 554 and 754 models. I know with the 554 you get a 176 unit reservoir and with the 754 you get a 300 unit one. What are the pros and cons for each of the reservoir sizes?

Tom

Tom, Alex has the 300 reservoir because they explained that as he has to keep the pump for 4 years - his requirements will change tremendously in that time and the 300 is aimed at adults. I really cant think why you would need a smaller reservoir, unless your very insulin sensitive and dont require a big total daily dose.🙂Bev

As Bev says, it depends on your total daily dose. I use on average 25u a day. I use the smaller reservoir and though I change the cannula and tubing every 3 days only need a new reservoir every 6 days.
There are some people that need a new reservoir every day, even with the larger one.

Well, my Levemir dose is at 34 units per day and with ratios of 2:10 and 1.5:10g CHO I suppose the 3ml one would be better?

Tom

Well, my Levemir dose is at 34 units per day and with ratios of 2:10 and 1.5:10g CHO I suppose the 3ml one would be better?

Tom

I started with the larger reservoir but after 3 months my DN decided that I would be better off changing the canula every other day. Therefore, it was pointless filling the large reservoir half way so we changed to the smaller one.

When I ring medtronic for my consumables they never seem to check what I've had before so I could easily change back if I need to.

Andy

I started with the larger reservoir but after 3 months my DN decided that I would be better off changing the canula every other day. Therefore, it was pointless filling the large reservoir half way so we changed to the smaller one.

When I ring medtronic for my consumables they never seem to check what I've had before so I could easily change back if I need to.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm thinking of pump size. Ideally I'd like the smaller one but if I have to have the bigger one then so be it. Thanks for your input.

Tom

Tom Hi!

I know im not medtronic, but I have the 315u reservoir and could not do the six day it lasts with the smaller one. I usually have around 50 to 75 units left when i change the set. Personally I would not want to change the set every 3 days which i suspect is what you would need to do if you got the smaller one. Just my two pennith!:D

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm on the Animas, which only uses a 2mL cartridge, and usually leaves me with around 170-180 units after I've primed etc. I was on similar doses to you before I moved onto the pump and I have to change the reservoir every 2 days, which means that most of the time my site change and reservoir changes are on different days. It's not a problem, just a little bit inconvenient, so the 3mL one would probably be better for you in that respect. 🙂

Hi Tom,

I've had both the small and large Medtronic pumps. There's really very little difference in terms of pump size, the larger one just has a slightly more rounded shape where the reservoir goes in and the reservoir sticks up above the rest of the pump slightly. You can use the smaller sized reservoirs in the larger pump anyway.

I picked the smaller 180u one first, as I used around 60 units per day so could change reservoir and set every 3 days as required (leaving the set in longer increases risks of infection, and starts to create scar tissue around the insertion site).

I switched to the larger 270u one as I was planning pregnancy and last time I ended up having to change my reservoir every 30 hours or so. It works just as well, only I don't fill the reservoir completely so I still change both when I need to change the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back