Researching on hypos and first aid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giovana

Hello everybody!

I would like to hear from diabetics who experienced problems when having hypos, due to the lack of knowledge of people trying to help, ignoring or overlooking it as something minor.

My partner is type 1 and we have recently been through a similar situation . I beleive this happens more often than we imagine, as recently a paramedic was struck off after refusing to treat a women having a hypo, saying that she was only drunk. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/8280785.stm

As a freelance journalist I would like to address this issues in the national and local press, specially when the World Diabetes Way approaches. But to do it so, I need more cases/personal stories.

So, if you have beeing through a situation of neglect (deliberate or due to lack of knowledge), I would love to hear from you.

Please get in touch🙂

Giovana Zilli
giozilli@gmail.com

Where I work, because one of the first aiders is diabetic, she made sure ALL of the first aiders knew what to do. My son is also a first aider and I explained to him, but I am aware that not everyone knows what to do with a hypo. Certainly Boots at Kings Cross St. Pancras Underground station don't sell glucotabs or anything to treat a hypo with because (i nthe pharmacists words) a hypo is not important. I have brought it to the attention of Boots head office...

Are you talking about medical professionals or just general public?
If it's general public I think it's a bit of a strong word to say neglect. Do we expect for everyone to know what hypos are and how to treat them? plenty of people with diabetes don't know how to treat them properly.

Does that boots not sell drinks? I think that was an inapproriate thing for the pharmacist to say and good you felt able to complain.

Neglect if the case involves medical professionals.
Lack of knowledge, when it involves general public.

Yes, we cannot expect general public to know how to treat a hypo, but I think there are a lot of ignorance on the subject, as I have heard people saying that it should be treated with insulin!

It would be good if the general public would be more aware of "how a hypo looks like" , and the danger it represents if not treated.

Neglect if the case involves medical professionals.
Lack of knowledge, when it involves general public.

Yes, we cannot expect general public to know how to treat a hypo, but I think there are a lot of ignorance on the subject, as I have heard people saying that it should be treated with insulin!

It would be good if the general public would be more aware of "how a hypo looks like" , and the danger it represents if not treated.

I totally agree Giovana, I would hate to be out and have a severe hypo, i no all the people would think your drunk or having a laugh, i carry my card in that but would people go in your wallet? :confused:

The boots I use sells fizzy drinks (including lucozade). I got a reply back and the pharmacist has been sent off for more training!

I think if we all take responsibility and explain to those who want to know we can spread the word. I have found people wont listen or don't want to listen if it doesn't affect them or someone close to them. I have had several people tell me it is my problem so deal with it...

I Think It Will Be Good For Everybody Including Policeofficers And Pcos My Friend Is A Pcos And I Asked Him About Drunk Teenager And Somedy Whos Having An Hypo How He Will React He Knows A Little Bit More Bcause Of My Son But Is Not A Spread Knwledge In The Police Community

Hi Giovana,

I had an incident at work a year after I was diagnosed which was actually one of the reasons why I left in the end. I emailed round an information sheet on hypo's that i'd been given from the hopsital to all my team members, saying what to give me when I'm having a hypo and the signs etc (which was also pinned up in front of my computer). I had a really bad hypo at my desk one day I only had one orange juice on me at the time so I drank that and had a biscuit.I checked it again after 10 minutes and it was below 4.0 still and was dropping again. I was asked by two of my collegues if I was okay because I had my head in my hands, I said no i'm having a bad hypo and I haven't got anything else on me to drink or eat and I'll need something else because it's dropping again. Bascially they just sat there and got on with their work and didn't offer to get me anything or get some help from anyone.
Luckily my husaband works in the same building as me so I managed to get hold of him and ask him to get me a coke from the vending machine.

I told my team leader and manager about what had happened afterwards and complained that I wasn't given any help. Their response was it's not down to my collegues to help me but that one of them should have got either my team leaders help or managers help.My response was all I needed was a coke or orange juice etc and they did nothing. They told me that my collegues would be talked to and told to come and get their help if a similar incident happened again. Which I might add did again a month or so later I actually resigned that day.

I hope that's the sort of thing you were looking for.

Emma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back