Researchers discover how type 2 diabetes drug metformin actually works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Researchers from St. Vincent's Institute of Medical Research in Melbourne, Australia, in collaboration with researchers at McMaster University in Canada, are reportedly the first to discover how the type 2 diabetes drug metformin actually works, providing a molecular understanding that could lead to the development of more effective therapies. Mass spectrometry technologies from AB SCIEX, a global leader in analytical technologies, played a critical role in the analysis that led to this breakthrough finding. The research is published in this month's issue of the journal Nature Medicine.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20...2-diabetes-drug-metformin-actually-works.aspx

Well it was originally marketed as a weight-loss drug, plus we know it works on Insulin Resistance, so that all makes sense.

What on earth will GPs do with thin diabetics without fatty livers? (send them away eating far more carbs and wait till they get them .....)

Well it was originally marketed as a weight-loss drug, plus we know it works on Insulin Resistance, so that all makes sense.

What on earth will GPs do with thin diabetics without fatty livers? (send them away eating far more carbs and wait till they get them .....)

Isn't part of the problem that thin Type2s often have (and Type 1s if they are insulin-resistant) is that they appear thin on the outside but have a genetic tendency to accumulate fat around their iternal organs (like Michael Mosely on that documentary he did)?

I have no idea Alan.

So does having T2 in the first place automatically mean you have a fatty liver? I've only heard existing diabetics say they 'now' have a fatty liver or people who aren't diabetic.

And do GPs and consultants etc actually say 'You have T2 - ergo you have a fatty liver' ?

I have no idea Alan.

So does having T2 in the first place automatically mean you have a fatty liver? I've only heard existing diabetics say they 'now' have a fatty liver or people who aren't diabetic.

And do GPs and consultants etc actually say 'You have T2 - ergo you have a fatty liver' ?

Not sure if it is compulsory, or if the problem can just be fat surrounding the organs :confused:

I'm not being belligerent here, Alan !

Just although I've 'come across' fatty liver - I've never actually heard of it being (sort of) irrevocably linked?

I have T2 never been told i have a fatty liver ...but I have the kidney function of a teenager ...

Regarding fatty livers, when I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes I think the thing which 'scared' me the most was also that my liver had fatty deposits in it too.

This was directly linked to my diet and lack of regular exercise. Whether the diabetes exacerbated it, I don't know. But perhaps when my pancreas was pumping out all that insulin to overcome the insulin resistance maybe it had a side effect of helping to store fat in the liver too.

Whatever the cause, my diet change and increased regular exercise meant that my liver was 'clear' when I finally was discharged from the consultant. However, I was also told, in no uncertain terms, that alcohol was largely a no-no for me.

I still have the odd sniff. But rarely go beyond a glass of wine or pint of ale at a time. Then, I go for a month or two without it!

Andy 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back