Research raises consciousness for dehydration concerns in diabetic patients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Some drugs used to treat diabetes mimic the behavior of a hormone that a University at Buffalo psychologist has learned controls fluid intake in subjects. The finding creates new awareness for diabetics who, by the nature of their disease, are already at risk for dehydration.

Derek Daniels' paper "Endogenous Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 Reduces Drinking Behavior and Is Differentially Engaged by Water and Food Intakes in Rats," co-authored with UB psychology graduate students Naomi J. McKay and Daniela L. Galante, appears in this month's edition of the Journal of Neuroscience.

The hormone, GLP-1, works in the body to increase the release of insulin, functioning the same way as many common injectable treatments for diabetes. Extensive research has already established GLP-1's role in the control of food intake, but the new study's authors say there was a profound absence of literature on its role in fluid intake.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141211124008.htm

Every time I have been properly ill. Dehydration comes into play 😱 You my tell off some of my posts I encourage people to keep hydrated when ill 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back