Research Project- Type 1 Diabetes Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomJames

Relationship to Diabetes
HCP/Researcher
Hello!

I am currently an MSc Health Psychology student and I am looking for people to take part in a study looking at individual differences that might influence diabetes management. To take part you must:
  • Be aged over 18
  • Have a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes
Please do not take part in this research if:
  • You have a chronic condition other than type 1 diabetes
  • You are likely to feel uncomfortable discussing your diabetes management (e.g. blood glucose levels, physical activity, diet)
In this study, you will be asked to provide information about yourself (e.g. age, gender identity and duration of diagnosis). You will then be asked to complete some questions to assess your personality. Following this, you will be asked about your confidence and motivation. You will then be asked to answer questions about your relationships with family and friends. Finally, you will be asked to answer some questions relating to your diabetes management.

This study will take approximately 15 minutes to complete. If you would like more information or would like to take part, please click on the link below.

This project has been approved through the University Ethical Approval system (Submission Ref: 49203).

Please feel free to share this recruitment advert with others who may be interested in participating in this research.

This study has been approved by @Cherrelle DUK

Thank you for your time.

Thomas

I started this survey but I am not very happy with the questions that are being asked.
- It talks about following a diet. I have Type 1 and inject my insulin appropriately for whatever I eat. I do not follow a diet.
- it describes diabetes as an "illness". I do not consider it that way.
- it asks about "controlling" diabetes. I strongly believe that diabetes is something that is managed not controlled. There are too many things which are outside of my control which can affect my diabetes and attempting to control it all the time is guaranteed to lead to disappointment.
- it refers to my family helping me. I am a childless adult with friends (and a partner) who's parents are of the age that I need to look after them.

I stopped answering the questions at that point.
I am sorry that I cannot help with your research but it looks as if you want answers from someone different to me.

I would have helped, but I'm excluded because i have three other chronic conditions as well as T1, one of which affects my diet* - like @helli, i don't alter my diet because I am T1. I alter my bolus insulin for whatever I choose to eat.

*The other condition is another autoimmune condition - Chronic Pancreatitis. That means as well as not producing insulin, my pancreas doesn't produce essential digestive enzymes, so i have to take Creon, which contains three digestive enxymes in capsule form to deal with fat, carbohydrates and proteins. This, like diabetes, is a simple deficiency. Get the dose right in both conditions, and you are normal. Apart from the other chronic condition that's put me in wheelchair...

Batty - some of the questions eg Do you take medication for your T1 ? Er yes, I'd be dead if I didn't.

As I don't follow a specific eating plan, I consistently without fail follow my diet 100% of the time .... I eat all the things I want to, when I want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back