Research Project - Carbohydrate Counting and Type 1 Diabetes - Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy_Kate12

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone, I am a student dietitian and I have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes since the age of twelve. I am currently undertaking my research project examining the barriers and facilitators to carbohydrate counting in adults living with type 1 diabetes in the United Kingdom. If you have a spare fifteen minutes to fill out my survey, it would be greatly appreciated

The link to the survey is: https://teesside.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/type-1-diabetes-and-carbohydrate-counting

This study has been approved by @Josh DUK

Done all the best with your studies

Completed. However, I find the reference of Type 1 diabetes diagnosis in childhood (in the question on whether you have Type 1) unnecessary as more than 50% of people with Type 1 diabetes were diagnosed over the age of 20.

Last edited:
I didn't see the childhood bit - it asked how old i am and how long I've had it - so 72 and 50 years defines that I was 22.

Question 20 was a bit ?? - asked if I ever buy anything with with the carb count readily on the packet because its easier to know the carbs in it - well No I don't - but that doesn't mean I don't buy anything which does have the carb count on the packaging - I'm forever saying Oh bugger and having to fish the packaging out of our kitchen bin cos I forgot to look at that!

Done. Good luck with your project

I didn't see the childhood bit - it asked how old i am and how long I've had it - so 72 and 50 years defines that I was 22.
Question 5: "Often appears during childhood or adolescence and is characterised by a complete deficiency of insulin, therefore, requiring insulin to be administered via multiple daily injections or an insulin pump"

Whilst this is not wrong, I consider it unnecessary (a common cold often appears in childhood or adolescence but no one makes a big thing about that) and propagates the myth that Type 1 is a childhood condition.
(I am being pedantic as it is not a big thing in the questionnaire.)

Question 20 was a bit ?? - asked if I ever buy anything with with the carb count readily on the packet because its easier to know the carbs in it - well No I don't - but that doesn't mean I don't buy anything which does have the carb count on the packaging - I'm forever saying Oh bugger and having to fish the packaging out of our kitchen bin cos I forgot to look at that!
Haha likewise, I'm always fishing packaging out of the bin!!

Done.
I found Q14 interesting. Only 4 responses and the lowest being less than once a day and the highest more than 4?
Are there really people on MDI who test less than once a day? Or did this refer to people who were using Libre so didn't need to test BG so often, but might scan Libre 20 or 30 times a day? The question only mentioned BG not interstitial fluid so I wonder if I answered it incorrectly.... Most days I don't finger prick at all but I scan between 25-30 with my Libre because I "sugar surf". I answered more than 4 because I assumed it meant checking levels rather than specifically BG.

Done, good luck with your research project.

Question 16 - have you ever attended a carb counting course - No
I had to answer 16a before I could move on with the reason why I hadn't attended the course I've never been offered.

Ooh, that’s a good point, @rebrascora , I ticked 'more than 4' because I assumed it included swiping a Libre, but maybe I interpreted the question wrongly.

🙂 Barbara - sorry but it's a mixture of you making assumptions and the researchers making assumptions. Though you, I and anyone else we both consider normally intelligent couldn't manage MDI on less than one test a day - that's not to say that some people somewhere might do that. OTOH the chances of them either a) being truthful or b) even completing such a survey in the first place are both utterly unfathomable!

Like you - I've also assumed that Libre scans or CGM checks are considered interchangable with fingerprick tests for the purposes of the survey - but we could both be wrong!

It did specifically say test "BG" rather than check levels which just made me hesitate, especially when the highest number was still very low. I would have expected the range of responses to be much wider if it included Libre scans. It just seemed odd to keep all but one of the responses below that minimum guidance number of 4 although I appreciate the last one was 4+ so covers up to 100 or more if you were so inclined..... thankfully even I am not that obsessive! 🙄 It just seemed that the options were all grouped at almost less than minimum to be safe.

Done. One point of feedback on Q11 - not sure that eye damage is always retinopathy? I've had DMO. Anyways, I thought sensible to tick that box.

Yes, I wasn't sure about how to respond to that. I had a background retinopathy result a couple of years ago but all clear the next year. I assumed that didn't really count as a "diagnosis of retinopathy" Anyway, I ticked no for that.

Done. And can I say how refreshing it is to have a HCP actually experiencing the condition they are dealing with! I'm sure your patients will value your insight. All the best for the future.

I've has background retinopathy with every photo taken of my retina, ever since they started taking them where I live(d) This spring for the first time ever, 'No changes detected'. So yes I have ever had retinopathy - but now I apparently don't ! So I answered Yes.

Hello, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to complete the survey, it is greatly appreciated. If anyone else has time to complete the survey, I would be very grateful 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back