Relationship to Diabetes
HCP/Researcher
An online, compassion intervention to improve shame, self-criticism, and physical wellbeing in adults with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T1DM; T2DM)
What is the aim?
My name is Hetashi and I am a Trainee Clinical Psychologist. As part of my research, we are exploring whether a four-week Compassionate Mind Training can help reduce experiences of shame and self-criticism.

We are looking for:
  • Adults over 18 who have had Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus for more than a year.
  • Adults experiencing diabetes distress, shame or self-criticism.
  • Adults who are self-managing their Diabetes in the UK.
  • Adults not currently accessing psychological therapy.
  • Adults not currently in mental health crisis/distress or experiencing thoughts of deliberate self-harm or suicide.
What will it involve?
  • You will be asked to complete a set of questionnaires three times.
  • You will be given access to complete the Compassionate Mind Training, once a week for four weeks. This involves watching a weekly 30 minute video. There is also an audio to practise what you learnt and a short summary to read.
How do I sign up?

Click the below link to find out more about this research project and sign up.
https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWUJ7NiJ0OXbY34

What happens next?
  1. After reading the information sheet on the above link and signing the consent form, you will be asked some screening questions to make sure you are eligible to take part in the project.
  2. You will then be asked to complete the first set of questionnaires.
  3. After completing the questionnaires, you will be allocated to either the intervention group or control group.
If you are allocated to the intervention group, you will be given access to the Compassionate Mind Training immediately, which you should try to complete within four weeks. You will then be asked to complete the questionnaires two more times.

If you are allocated to the control group, you will be given access to the Compassionate Mind Training after completing the questionnaires two more times.

What is the benefit for me?

Participation in this research means you will have access to free Compassionate Mind Training over four weeks and you could win a £25 Amazon voucher.

If you have any questions, please email the researcher Hetashi: hb593@canterbury.ac.uk.

This study has received ethical approval and this study has been approved by @Cherrelle DUK

Last edited:
This research project is still recruiting adults with Type 1 and 2 diabetes to take part in an online, compassionate mind intervention. If you are interested, please see the above research poster and information.

What if you simply don't and never have had any self guilt, plus no self blame, though that don't stop some HCPs applying blame - I'd rather someone taught them some lessons in compassion!

Mind you today attending the endoscopy dep't at my more local hospital rather than the one I receive my diabetes care, where I had to have a colonoscopy which I hated but when the jolly ole pooh sample I've been sending off every few years for ages turns out to have some blood in it, you'd be pretty daft to ignore that even though it's not always a lovely relaxing half hour - mine wasn't today and it really hurt at times so no way was the Entonox really helping me - or them - so I asked for some other help please - I had quite a cocktail of relaxants and painkillers in the finish, which was a relief cos it really helped. Removed 3 polyps which neither the doc doing it or the nurse assisting him, thought looked suspicious, but of course the Path Lab will tell us all exactly what's what, soon. Have to say the very last one they lassooed and removed looked a lovely healthy pink, just like the rest of me insides I actually saw.

However what they did spot was a few patches of diverticulitis, Oh Yuk, note to self, eat more fibre and drink more water Jen.

But anyway, randomly the nice nurse looking after me and others in the recovery area said ' I can see you've looked after you diabetes really well considering how long you've had it - I know that's not easy and we see enough people who haven't, to make that comment.' I could have kissed the woman had she got near enough, thought to self 'when I get to the D clinic tomorrow afternoon if they start criticising - I'm gonna repeat that !'

So as we walked back in the house, husband said whilst I was out I'd had a text from the hospital cancelling my appt tomorrow cos the junior Drs are on strike so the consultants have to man the wards etc. Bugger.

What if you simply don't and never have had any self guilt, plus no self blame, though that don't stop some HCPs applying blame - I'd rather someone taught them some lessons in compassion!

Mind you today attending the endoscopy dep't at my more local hospital rather than the one I receive my diabetes care, where I had to have a colonoscopy which I hated but when the jolly ole pooh sample I've been sending off every few years for ages turns out to have some blood in it, you'd be pretty daft to ignore that even though it's not always a lovely relaxing half hour - mine wasn't today and it really hurt at times so no way was the Entonox really helping me - or them - so I asked for some other help please - I had quite a cocktail of relaxants and painkillers in the finish, which was a relief cos it really helped. Removed 3 polyps which neither the doc doing it or the nurse assisting him, thought looked suspicious, but of course the Path Lab will tell us all exactly what's what, soon. Have to say the very last one they lassooed and removed looked a lovely healthy pink, just like the rest of me insides I actually saw.

However what they did spot was a few patches of diverticulitis, Oh Yuk, note to self, eat more fibre and drink more water Jen.

But anyway, randomly the nice nurse looking after me and others in the recovery area said ' I can see you've looked after you diabetes really well considering how long you've had it - I know that's not easy and we see enough people who haven't, to make that comment.' I could have kissed the woman had she got near enough, thought to self 'when I get to the D clinic tomorrow afternoon if they start criticising - I'm gonna repeat that !'

So as we walked back in the house, husband said whilst I was out I'd had a text from the hospital cancelling my appt tomorrow cos the junior Drs are on strike so the consultants have to man the wards etc. Bugger.
You've touched on a really important concept here because compassion is needed from all healthcare professionals to stop those feelings of blame coming onto people using healthcare services.

P.S. Many apologies for a late reply to your message.

Sorry your going through so much, re diverticulitis don’t up fibre suddenly, the recommended diet is low fod map and when your diabetic your supposed to be supported through finding your trigger foods by a trained fod map dietitian or you can make a flare much worse, I have to eat low residue as well as high fibre foods especially wheat based is a massive pain and symptoms trigger for me which goes against my diabetic low carb plan. My mum is the same she can’t have high fibre and is a thin so not t2 like me, the t2 comes down dads side of the family. If can help then let me know, my GI team referred me to a dietitian in their unit who was god map trained as never should be done without support when diabetic.

As for HCP’s they /some really don’t get the damage they can do with blame and this was the message I gave when I spoke at the conference in April as did the consultant who was speaking in my session with me, hcp led to previous comments to my suicide attempts when you get.

You get me a bit wrong re the divertic I think, cos I've never had the slightest pain or anything resembling IBS symptoms - all I've ever had and still have is constipation and I know 200% damn fine well that it's the combination of not moving about very much for various reasons cos I really am pretty lazy amongst other things, I've known myself for quite some time by now so recognise that ! - and also to some degree dehydration, so worse this weather anyway.

I'm sorry you obviously had a rotten time because of wrong remarks at exactly the wrong time. With me they've usually been occasional remarks by the odd person who actually has no reason or business to know all that much about me - although they are employed in a place I'm visiting for my health. If regularly like the GP surgery or 'my' diabetes clinic it does help a lot when they're friendly and cheerful. When it's a 'one off' visit, then that still helps. Like I said - sometimes it can still be them that need training these days, not me. I'm not actually a very patient patient at all these days, and I do get audibly annoyed when they don't listen!! - or clearly don't understand when I've answered a question but carry on saying what they want to say, rather than taking my reply on board.

You get me a bit wrong re the divertic I think, cos I've never had the slightest pain or anything resembling IBS symptoms - all I've ever had and still have is constipation and I know 200% damn fine well that it's the combination of not moving about very much for various reasons cos I really am pretty lazy amongst other things, I've known myself for quite some time by now so recognise that ! - and also to some degree dehydration, so worse this weather anyway.

I'm sorry you obviously had a rotten time because of wrong remarks at exactly the wrong time. With me they've usually been occasional remarks by the odd person who actually has no reason or business to know all that much about me - although they are employed in a place I'm visiting for my health. If regularly like the GP surgery or 'my' diabetes clinic it does help a lot when they're friendly and cheerful. When it's a 'one off' visit, then that still helps. Like I said - sometimes it can still be them that need training these days, not me. I'm not actually a very patient patient at all these days, and I do get audibly annoyed when they don't listen!! - or clearly don't understand when I've answered a question but carry on saying what they want to say, rather than taking my reply on board.
Hi the difficulty with diverticulitis is that even if you have no symptoms you need to stay care of it and manage it or it can get very complicated fast, both my mum and uncle have had open bowel surgery and stoma bags because they didn’t eat in line with the needed diet and I have been warned of the same if I don’t manage it carefully, I started with it age 21 with no warning and nearly ended up in emergency surgery.
I appreciate what your saying about your own experience but it’s very common and you have some positive experience at least, given a leading consultant warned about how HCP’s should handle weight and diet conversations at a national conference shows there a much bigger stigma… also the stigma related podcast discusses how diabetes is viewed by many and not treated sensitively, I too get annoyed when not listened too and am just home from a ten day stay in hospital due to going into dka because they didn’t listen! We need to trust our gut more and advocate for ourselves which is hard

Hello everyone,

I hope it is okay to post as I too have been watching how useful @Zijie Xie's research is. I'm a Trainee Clinical Psychologist who is recruiting participants for people with Type 1 or Type 2 to be part of my research project which is offering a self-compassion intervention.

If you are interested in participating, the forum thread holds some more information here or you can participate with this link: https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWUJ7NiJ0OXbY34

Thank you.

An online, compassion intervention to improve shame, self-criticism, and physical wellbeing in adults with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T1DM; T2DM)
What is the aim?
My name is Hetashi and I am a Trainee Clinical Psychologist. As part of my research, we are exploring whether a four-week, Compassionate Mind Training can help reduce experiences of shame and self-criticism.

We are looking for:
  • Adults over 18 who have had Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus for more than a year.
  • Adults who would identify as experiencing diabetes distress, shame or self-criticism in relation to their Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis.
  • Adults not currently in mental health crisis/distress or experiencing thoughts of deliberate self-harm or suicide.
What will it involve?
  • You will be asked to complete a set of questionnaires three times.
  • You will be given access to complete the Compassionate Mind Training, once a week for four weeks. This involves watching a weekly 30 minute video. There is also an audio to practise what you learnt and a short summary to read.
How do I sign up?
Click the link to find out more about this research project and sign up: https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWUJ7NiJ0OXbY34

What happens next?
  1. After reading the information sheet on the above link and signing the consent form, you will be asked some screening questions to make sure you are eligible to take part in the project.
  2. You will then be asked to complete the first set of questionnaires.
  3. After completing the questionnaires, you will be allocated to either the intervention group or control group.
If you are allocated to the intervention group, you will be given access to the Compassionate Mind Training immediately, which you should try to complete within four weeks. You will then be asked to complete the questionnaires two more times.

If you are allocated to the control group, you will be given access to the Compassionate Mind Training after completing the questionnaires two more times.

What is the benefit for me?
Participation in this research means you will have access to free Compassionate Mind Training over four weeks and you could win one of four £25 Amazon vouchers.

If you have any questions, please email the researcher Hetashi: hb593@canterbury.ac.uk.

This study has received ethical approval and this study has been approved by @Cherrelle DUK

Attachments

• July MRP Poster 2023.png
    July MRP Poster 2023.png
    151.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I hope it is okay to post as I too have been watching how useful @Zijie Xie's research is. I'm a Trainee Clinical Psychologist who is recruiting participants for people with Type 1 or Type 2 to be part of my research project which is offering a self-compassion intervention.

If you are interested in participating, the forum thread holds some more information here or you can participate with this link: https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWUJ7NiJ0OXbY34

Thank you.
Love what your doing but the criteria is very restrictive around mh issues and ongoing interventions

Love what your doing but the criteria is very restrictive around mh issues and ongoing interventions
Hello @Sarahp,

Thank you so much for your message on my research project and feedback - it is really useful for me to be aware of. I'm hoping that the research project can inform some of the interventions that could be offered to people with diabetes in the future, though I do see how the current criteria is a restriction for people who may not be able to participate and access the intervention based on my criteria.

I really appreciate you taking the time to look into my project and share your feedback on the thread.

Wish best wishes,
Hetashi

Hello @Sarahp,

Thank you so much for your message on my research project and feedback - it is really useful for me to be aware of. I'm hoping that the research project can inform some of the interventions that could be offered to people with diabetes in the future, though I do see how the current criteria is a restriction for people who may not be able to participate and access the intervention based on my criteria.

I really appreciate you taking the time to look into my project and share your feedback on the thread.

Wish best wishes,
Hetashi
Thank you Hetashi, I wish there were a way for those of us with current/ongoing issues can feedback as well to help those in the future that would benefit from your work.

I am still recruiting adults who have Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes for a self-compassion intervention.

If you meet the criteria, please consider signing up at: https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWUJ7NiJ0OXbY34
We are looking for:
  • Adults who would identify as experiencing shame or self-criticism in relation to their Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and take part in the research project.

Good morning everyone,

I am still recruiting adults who have Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes for a self-compassion intervention. I need approximately 70 more participants to take part in this research project, though of course, going above number is also possible.

If you are interested in signing up, please follow this link: https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWUJ7NiJ0OXbY34

Thank you so much for your time and patience with my posting.

Attachments

• July MRP Poster 2023.png
    July MRP Poster 2023.png
    151.9 KB · Views: 0
Update: I am looking for around 63 more people to participate in the research project which involves a self-compassion intervention and three questionnaires. If you meet the criteria and would like to participate, please sign up at: https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWUJ7NiJ0OXbY34

We are looking for:
  • Adults who would identify as experiencing shame or self-criticism in relation to their Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis.
What will it involve?
  • You will be asked to complete a set of questionnaires three times (every four weeks).

Update: I am looking for around 51 more people to participate in the research project which involves a self-compassion intervention and three questionnaires. If you meet the criteria and would like to participate, please sign up at: https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWUJ7NiJ0OXbY34

We are looking for:
  • Adults who would identify as experiencing diabetes distress, shame or self-criticism in relation to their Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis.
What will it involve?
  • You will be asked to complete a set of questionnaires three times (every four weeks).

Thank you to everyone for your time and participation :)Aug 2023 MRP Poster.png

Update: I am looking for around 40 more people to participate in the research project which involves a self-compassion intervention and three questionnaires. If you meet the criteria and would like to participate, please sign up at: https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWUJ7NiJ0OXbY34

We are looking for:
What will it involve?

Thank you to everyone for your time and participation :)

Update: I am looking for around 35 more people to participate in the research project which involves a self-compassion intervention and three questionnaires. If you meet the criteria and would like to participate, please sign up at: https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWUJ7NiJ0OXbY34

We are looking for:
What will it involve?

Thank you to everyone for your time and participation :) I really appreciate it.

Back