Reoccurring problem with Rybelsus 7mg

aly64*

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good afternoon all
About 3 months ago I was advised my blood sugar levels had increased.(Can't find levels at moment,but just had blood test today)My diabetic nurse discussed with me about changing to Rybelsus 3mg with metformin 500mg for a month,then upping dose to 7mg.I had six weeks of feeling nauseous and sometimes being sick,then everything settled down until last week.I am now nauseous nearly every day,burping all the time.I have mentioned it to my diabetic nurse today,who says maybe the oral drug is not suited to me,she said maybe swop to injections once a week,but I have a needle phobia Has anyone else had problems with this drug? I was advised to take it 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

Sorry to hear of your symptoms @aly64* and that the suggestion is to go onto injections which doesn't sound suitable for you, given the needle phobia.

A few other users have experience with Rybelsus.

@Andy84 talks about their symptoms here: https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/hi-and-help.113552/

and, @Annette&Bert has mentioned being on Rybelsus before.

We have a webpage on Rybelsus for more info about the medication itself: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...ets-and-medication/glp-1/semaglutide/rybelsus

It's worth speaking to the nurse again because there are several other medications available, it's just finding something that's clinically suitable for you. :care:

Alt I am now on 14mg of Rybelsus with no problems, it won't work if you don't take it on an empty stomach. I take mine when I wake and wait an hour before my first coffee, nothing else and not even my other meds which is what the patient information sheet says and take it with no more than 120mil of water. I am on 2000mg of metformin taken with my main meal. The only reason I am on Rybelsus is because it us the pill form of Trulicity which is currently unavailable, previously I was on Trulicity weekly until they had manufacturing problems.

Some meds do seem to suit some people better then others :(

Do you think your symptoms might settle down in time?

Depending on how significant your needle phobia is (I think everyone is phobic to some degree!) you might want to consider alternative oral meds - there are many classes of meds to choose from. On the other hand, you may find the reality of injections much easier than the idea of them. Modern needles are nothing like the harpoons you might imagine - they are only a few mm long, and very fine. There are also special covered needles which have a retracting outer, so you don’t see the needle at all.

that is the type of needle you get with Trulicity and Ozempic, but I can only speak for the former, you hardly see tge needle it is tiny and encased.

Back