Renewal 3 yr driving license

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodybags

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
In June this year my 3 yr licence will need renewal,
im currently driving on my first 3yr medical restricted one soon expires.

should I expect to receive notification From DVLA ?
obviously I’m aware the DVLA has over the last 2 yrs been in chaos,
but having never renewed one yet I’m unsure what to expect or do.

I guess I will need something from my GP and I’m expecting DVLA to ask me to have their eye examination / sight test at Specsavers, any help from those in the know greatly appreciated.

I think I recall from somewhere that you should get a reminder no later than 3 months before expiry and there's also a govt uk option to initiate renewal on line.

There's also a dedicated DUK forum where you can no doubt find more info and maybe commentary on what the waiting time etc is like at present

I guess I will need something from my GP and I’m expecting DVLA to ask me to have their eye examination / sight test at Specsavers, any help from those in the know greatly appreciated.
I have just had my 1st license. They said in the letter they will will send a renewal reminder 90 days before it expires.

I got the letter a couple of months in advance. I was unable to apply online due to other medical conditions, so had to apply by post and wait. I sent by registered post and kept a copy of the signed receipt, as proof I had applied, as the website said that was required. I also got written permission from my GP saying I was safe to drive. After 3 months I got a letter asking me to take the eye test, which I did, and the licence arrived 3 weeks later. So a long and frustrating experience. But my cousin was contacted 90 days in advance, applied online, and got his licence in a few weeks. Good luck!

I got my renewal reminder during lockdown 2, Nov 20. It was due Feb 21. I renewed it online and had a new one within the week.

My experience was the same as @eggyg
A very fast turn around for an online renewal with no complications and no additional vehicle classes.
I provided details of my GP and consultant but I don't believe DVLA had time to contact them.

I just renewed online a couple of months ago and was expecting a long delay because of other comments on the forum throughout the pandemic. Like you, I didn't know that I would receive a renewal letter but I knew it was about due since I had had my 3 yr diaversary.
I got the new licence back a week to 10 days after my online renewal followed by the renewal reminder a day or two later and then I think I got a letter saying they had received my application and were processing it, a few days after that, so I think there were 3 letters which were a bit confusing especially as the order of receiving them didn't make sense with the new licence arriving first. The important thing was that it was very easy to renew online and it happened much more promptly than I expected.

Like several others I did an online renewal and received new licence within a week.

Yes you get notification from the dvla, the reminders are sent out automatically. If you hen' had any eye treatment or hypos needing third party help then there is no reason for any delays you can just renew on line and get your licence back within a week.

Lucky me has been waiting 6mths for my licence to come back as I had to do a paper one due to having MS.
As far as I can work out nothing what so ever has been done about my licence as no paper work has been sent to GP or neurologist.
So I'm driving under rule 88 at the moment. I will leave it one more month then ask my MP to intervene.

Today got some good news, having applied (about 6 weeks ago) to renew my 3 yr medically restricted driving licence.
I was pleasantly surprised today to be notified by DVLA that “following medical enquiries being completed the DVLA Doctor has recommended I be issued with a licence valid until my 70th birthday“
thats 12 years time

a relief not to need to renew every 3 years, so I just need to send them a new photo and pay £17 to receive the new licence.
It will be interesting to see if they restore the categories they previously removed whilst I was under medically restricted 3yr licence (big vans / minibus / small lorries with trailer the kind of things us who passed our driving test 40 yrs ago able to drive on a normal licence)

Last edited:
No - you will have to apply separately to get your 'over 3500kgs' (C1) back, same as you do without diabetes etc when you're 70.

Today got some good news, having applied (about 6 weeks ago) to renew my 3 yr medically restricted driving licence.
I was pleasantly surprised today to be notified by DVLA that “following medical enquiries being completed the DVLA Doctor has recommended I be issued with a licence valid until my 70th birthday“
thats 12 years time

a relief not to need to renew every 3 years, so I just need to send them a new photo and pay £17 to receive the new licence.
It will be interesting to see if they restore the categories they previously removed whilst I was under medically restricted 3yr licence (big vans / minibus / small lorries with trailer the kind of things us who passed our driving test 40 yrs ago able to drive on a normal licence)
LOL update
first recieved a refund
then a letter and now another 3 yr medical restricted licence
seems down in Swansea DVLA really are in chaos

I am just buying a camper van and found - to my surprise - that the C1 category was no longer on my licence. That meant finding a van the same size but 'down plated' to be driven on a normal licence.
It was due to my reaching 70 - I assume.
There will be a rather frantic few days to get it ready for Sidmouth folk festival, but I will enjoy the challenge.

LOL update
first recieved a refund
then a letter and now another 3 yr medical restricted licence
seems down in Swansea DVLA really are in chaos
Must admit to wondering if the original renewal licence was correct as you are on insulin. I shall await with interest to see if they realise they made a mistake on my licence as well.

Hi. Renew online if you possibly can and with only one medical condition you can do that. You don't need anything from the GP unless there are known problems. Just answer the questions on the form. Think about the questions about hypos before you answer them as they are looking for you to be hypo aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back