Remote monitor embedded in insulin pen caps could help personalize diabetes treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The Sanofi US competition to encourage companies to devise new ways to improve outcomes and lower healthcare costs associated with diabetes has its demo day today. In a contest that generally revolves around various health IT approaches, one company has developed a remote monitoring device to generate big data using the cap of an insulin pen.

Cambridge, Massachusetts-based Common Sensing produced the GoCap ? a replacement cap for pre-filled insulin pens that records the level of insulin administered daily and the times it was taken. It transmits that information using Bluetooth to a mobile phone or connected glucometer. The idea is to provide a steady stream of relevant information transmitted in an easily digestable format to alert healthcare professionals to potential problems early enough before they require hospitalization and ramp up healthcare costs.

http://medcitynews.com/2013/06/a-re...ps-could-help-personalize-diabetes-treatment/

Did you follow the links to the electronic bill bottle that texts your relatives if you haven't taken you pill😱. Talk about technology for technologies sake. Apart from anything else, my doctor couldn't care less whether I've injected 50 units or 60 units on a particular day and I doubt if anyone has the time for that kind of patient monitoring or will it all be computerised with the PCT police coming round to remove your unused drugs🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back