Remission

Status
Not open for further replies.

mage 1

How do people achieve remission

If by remission, you mean the ability to eat any food type, and still have a normal response, and normal blood glucose, I did it by the same method.
I started off on a tight low fat calorie controlled diet for several months, and finished off with a shake based very low calorie diet, for 8 weeks.
I lost several stone that I needed to, and now simply watch my weight, and cut down on the calories if it starts to go the wrong way.

(On a low fat, mostly plant based alcohol free diet now, after the excesses of lockdown are showing! Two weeks to go, then back to normal)

Did you have any help or did you do this on your own do you need to tell your GP what are you doing or not

Did you have any help or did you do this on your own do you need to tell your GP what are you doing or not
I did it on my own - I lost a lot of my weight and was well on the way to reversal before I heard about this work (thanks to @travellor !)

In the UK you might be able to get referred into a support program under the NHS, I think? Somebody else will know more about that.

I did it on my own - I lost a lot of my weight and was well on the way to reversal before I heard about this work (thanks to @travellor !)

In the UK you might be able to get referred into a support program under the NHS, I think? Somebody else will know more about that.
Well done my doctor will not talk to me about it .and as I am in Wales the program is not been rolled out here

Hi @mage 1 I'm aiming for remission by diet and exercise only. I point out told my GP I didn't want medication at this point. I'm not going to achieve reversal, I already know that 3.5 stones in but I have not attempted the 800 cal plan. If you are on any form of meds, do discuss your plans with the GP because your choice of diet may well impact on your medication and how it is designed to work. Gliclizide being a case in point should you choose a low carb option.

Hi @mage 1 I'm aiming for remission by diet and exercise only. I point out told my GP I didn't want medication at this point. I'm not going to achieve reversal, I already know that 3.5 stones in but I have not attempted the 800 cal plan. If you are on any form of meds, do discuss your plans with the GP because your choice of diet may well impact on your medication and how it is designed to work. Gliclizide being a case in point should you choose a low carb option.
I went the other way and took the meds to get my BG down. After my BG came down I came off metformin and have just had my first unmedicated HbA1c. Fingers crossed that the next one will be OK as well

I am metformin One in the morning and one in the afternoon I am waiting for my next blood test in June and then I will talk to my doctor about coming off medication thanks for your help

@adrian1der you are doing impressively well and clearly enjoying the journey. I have no doubts that your next one will be fine. I'm generally rubbish at taking meds and navigating med side effects - bleurgh.

@mage 1 whatever route you choose to go down, please be careful about dropping your BGs too quickly and causing fine blood vessel damage. I dodged a bullet because of an infection in the first month (so my sugars were stubbornly high) when I went all out to bring mine down, but it could have caused irreversible damage.

My first hba1c 118 second was 58 and came off gliclazide so am just on metformin my next hba1a is in June .I Did talk to doctor about low carbohydrate and he said ok .

My first hba1c 118 second was 58 and came off gliclazide so am just on metformin my next hba1a is in June .I Did talk to doctor about low carbohydrate and he said ok .
That's excellent!

I was happy to use drugs to get my blood glucose under control initially.
When I'd decided on the low calorie diet, weight loss and exercise, I worked with my GP and we changed my treatment to reflect my progress.
I was actually unsure as whether to finally come off metformin, as it does seem to have other advantages associated with it.

For me the problem always has been carbs - coupled with the advice to eat carbs.
I am now eating much as I did when I was able to get away from people trying to do me good.
In future I intend to eat this way no matter what advice I am given, as it is what is right for me, and always has been. I just wish that I'd rebelled far sooner.

That's a good drop and brilliant that you've been able to come off the Gliclazide, and what comes with it.

Couldn't help noticing that I was diagnosed with a similar HbA1c to yours but not prescribed Gliclazide AND Metformin, just Metformin. What does that say about our respective HCPs? If I'd seen yours would I have been put on Gliclazide? If you'd seen mine would you have been put on just Metformin?

Martin
Hi Martin yes that are very Similar I was sent to a&e and the doctor there sent me home with medication after the last hba1c i asked the doctor if i could come off gliclazide and she agreed so just hoping my next hba1c will show a good reduction in big and will ask to come off metformin

Since I was only ever slightly overweight, I went the low Carb route (and that caused some weigh loss as a side-effect).
I never counted Calories, just Carbs. I try to only eat when actually hungry (harder to do when faced with lockdown boredom). But I also 'eat to my meter' keeping my maximum BG readings to 8.0 mmol or less and my post-prandial spikes (at the 2hr mark) to less than 2.0 mmol.

Doing that I never went hungry or felt deprived of tasty food.

The very low calorie diet was approved by the NHS as a recognised treatment.

Personally, when I did it, it had only just hit the news.
I was morbidly obese at diagnosis, so losing weight wouldn't hurt either way.
I used Tesco shakes, but my doctor and nurse were quite interested and did bring me back in for blood tests, but didn't really know much about it.

The information on the diet is online, the basic plan is

That is brilliant what you have achieved I have my next blood test in June so I will try and pin them down to talk to me about this I have already lost 3 1/2 stone so hopefully I’m on my way to doing what you did thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back