remission

Status
Not open for further replies.

jane58

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi i was wondering if any of you managed to successfully get their type 2 into remission? if so how did you achieve this ? any advice most welcome

Yup, and very quickly too. How did I manage it?

1. Set myself achievable, streching goals and modified those goals when I achived them or realised they were ridiculous. Deciding on goals was harder than I thought at first.
2. Immediately changed my diet to reduce carbs to a sensible level and reduce calories. It was a confusing time at first coming from no knowledge and lots of fear. Later, with my App I tracked pretty much anything and everything I ate or did.
3. Monitored and recorded my health stats evey day to see progress or make informed chaanges to my strategy if things were not going to plan.
4. Exercised more (1 to 2 hours walking every day). But not straight away as I just couldn't
5. Came off all diabetic meds (with the agreement of the medics)
6. Noted everything I ate and worked out all the important nutritional stuff with an App I created (but there are some very good Apps online)
7. Had a regime of testing my blood glucose on waking and early evening before tea.
8. I developed a determination to take control of things and learn as much as I could and had an open mind about what is best to do as there are quite a few different strategies people adopt.
9. Joined this forum and found that everyone is friendly, many have loads of experience and advice.
10. Accepted the corrections to my understanding of things by those here who understand more than I
11. Went to GP/nurse appointments armed with as much information as I could and asked for clarity where there was none.
12. I decided that this was a journey so I had better enjoy it as best I could, and I do. This is especially important as far as diet is concerned as it has to be something I could stick to over the longer term.

I hope that is of some use to you.

Basically, get informed, take control, enjoy success.

Three years ago I started incorrectly diagnosed in hospital as a T1 with an HbA1c of 140 and given insulin and no instructions or advice, later the diagnosis was changed to type 2, now officially in remission. I initially decided that, from what I read, my weight was a real issue 90Kg (hardly a brilliant insight ... I was obese). I whittled it down to 55Kg but that was too far as I looked like a skeleton. My new goal is 65Kg (not there yet).

Was it hard work? Yes and no. It has taken determination and effort, consistency, and learning. Learning about diabetes. Learning about medical stuff. Learning about me, what I can tolerate, what works, and what fails (for me). It has had highs and lows (my biggest lows come from poor morning BG readings (if there are any)). But it is a journey, quite a long one too, so best to point in the right direction and get marching... good luck with your journey and let us know how you get on.

Several, but not many, nanoseconds after being labelled a very bad diabetic I stopped eating high carb foods and low fat options.

Yup, and very quickly too. How did I manage it?

1. Set myself achievable, streching goals and modified those goals when I achived them or realised they were ridiculous. Deciding on goals was harder than I thought at first.
2. Immediately changed my diet to reduce carbs to a sensible level and reduce calories. It was a confusing time at first coming from no knowledge and lots of fear. Later, with my App I tracked pretty much anything and everything I ate or did.
3. Monitored and recorded my health stats evey day to see progress or make informed chaanges to my strategy if things were not going to plan.
4. Exercised more (1 to 2 hours walking every day). But not straight away as I just couldn't
5. Came off all diabetic meds (with the agreement of the medics)
6. Noted everything I ate and worked out all the important nutritional stuff with an App I created (but there are some very good Apps online)
7. Had a regime of testing my blood glucose on waking and early evening before tea.
8. I developed a determination to take control of things and learn as much as I could and had an open mind about what is best to do as there are quite a few different strategies people adopt.
9. Joined this forum and found that everyone is friendly, many have loads of experience and advice.
10. Accepted the corrections to my understanding of things by those here who understand more than I
11. Went to GP/nurse appointments armed with as much information as I could and asked for clarity where there was none.
12. I decided that this was a journey so I had better enjoy it as best I could, and I do. This is especially important as far as diet is concerned as it has to be something I could stick to over the longer term.

I hope that is of some use to you.

Basically, get informed, take control, enjoy success.

Three years ago I started incorrectly diagnosed in hospital as a T1 with an HbA1c of 140 and given insulin and no instructions or advice, later the diagnosis was changed to type 2, now officially in remission. I initially decided that, from what I read, my weight was a real issue 90Kg (hardly a brilliant insight ... I was obese). I whittled it down to 55Kg but that was too far as I looked like a skeleton. My new goal is 65Kg (not there yet).

Was it hard work? Yes and no. It has taken determination and effort, consistency, and learning. Learning about diabetes. Learning about medical stuff. Learning about me, what I can tolerate, what works, and what fails (for me). It has had highs and lows (my biggest lows come from poor morning BG readings (if there are any)). But it is a journey, quite a long one too, so best to point in the right direction and get marching... good luck with your journey and let us know how you get on.
Thank you so much for the info, and congratulations for getting T2 into remission. i am not on any meds as yet, i got diagnosed at 49 then Hb1Ac went up to 50 then most recent Hb1Ac went up to 63, i never took it serious until now. the diabetic dr wanted to put me on metformin last week, however i have just been diagnosed with gallstones in my bile duct, he said the meds might make my pain and stomach worse so he has given me 4 months to try my best to get my numbers down. i am a stone overweight so im planning on loosing that which should not be too hard as i can hardly eat much of anything apart from fruit veg chicken and fish, everything else causes too much pain ( who would have thought gallstones had a plus side lol ) blaming myself for all this as had a rubbish relationship with food all my life always binged on junk food, so i have deffo caused this problems. but hey ho damage is done and im more than ready to change things. i really need to educate myself and i know it will be hard as never had to restricy myself before and still have massive sugar cravings.. thanks again

I suspect I had several gall stones to get rid of in the early months of eating low carb - memorable episodes but now long in the past.
It isn't anything you've done, you are no more responsible for an inability to deal with carbs than for your eye colour.
Your HbA1c is still relatively low and others have got back to normal numbers from far higher - low carb works for ordinary type 2s, but do watch out for the carb content of fruit, it can be quite high and even if you test your blood, meters only show glucose, not fructose, so it can remain under the radar.

Have you seen the remission section lower down the forum, also there was a email announcing launch of the remission learning section on the website, if you are not a member then definitely worth joining for access.

Hello Jane
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in September 2023 with an HbA1c of 88. I found the work done by Prof Taylor at Newcastle University about diabetes remission and followed it up with my GP. I started a very low calorie diet in early October 2023 (Exante shakes supplemented by a plate of veg or salad each day for 13 weeks, with a small gap for xmas) I've lost 4st 9lbs and now weigh 13st 4lbs. Latest HbA1c was 37 and I was taken off of metformin.
The advice I've had since is that provided I keep the weight off, I should be able to eat a normal balanced diet and keep the diabetes in remission. I don't consciously follow a low carb diet but do find that through smaller portions and being focused on maintaining the weight loss, my carbs are approx 100-160g per day. I do a morning fasting finger prick test and average 5.2.
From reading posts on this forum there are many different routes to remission, mine is just one but it is tried and tested (literally). Good luck with yours.

Hello Jane
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in September 2023 with an HbA1c of 88. I found the work done by Prof Taylor at Newcastle University about diabetes remission and followed it up with my GP. I started a very low calorie diet in early October 2023 (Exante shakes supplemented by a plate of veg or salad each day for 13 weeks, with a small gap for xmas) I've lost 4st 9lbs and now weigh 13st 4lbs. Latest HbA1c was 37 and I was taken off of metformin.
The advice I've had since is that provided I keep the weight off, I should be able to eat a normal balanced diet and keep the diabetes in remission. I don't consciously follow a low carb diet but do find that through smaller portions and being focused on maintaining the weight loss, my carbs are approx 100-160g per day. I do a morning fasting finger prick test and average 5.2.
From reading posts on this forum there are many different routes to remission, mine is just one but it is tried and tested (literally). Good luck with yours.
Congratulations in getting your diabetes into remission, sounds like you were determined and put all the hard work in. I hope one day ill get mine into remission also. many thanks for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back