Remission hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoobey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

I hope everyone is safe and well

I just had the news in my yearly review, I just achieved remission, My last three Hba1c, last December, June and this December have all been 27, down from an initial diagnosis in May 2019 of 97. I am stunned to say the least, but as we all know, it's a marathon, not a sprint, got to stay vigilant and in control.

But tonight, I'll have a low carb beer or two...

When diagnosed the first thing I did is take to the internet, I remember the first phrase I saw was a slow death sentence, my diabetic nurse recommended I join up to the forums, which I did and the advice / support given by people on here is truly amazing.

I'm just so stoked right now, I wanted to say thank you to the forums, it really does help people through dark and confusing times.

Stuart

Wow! Fantastic achievement @Stoobey that is wonderful. Enjoy those beers, you deserve them :D

27!!!!
Wow, that is amazing! Well done you! It clearly reflects a lot of hard work on your part but having the right guidance is really important too and I am sure we are all extremely grateful to the forum for pointing us in the right direction when we felt bewildered at the start and supporting us on our journey.

Just out of curiosity and for the benefit of people just starting their journey with diabetes and reading this for inspiration, were you started on medication and how long before you came off it.
Presumably you have followed a lower carb diet? Did you also use self testing to figure out your diet?
Do you have any tips that stand out for you as turning points or things that made the journey easier?

Thank you,

When diagnosed I was considered quite high, so straight away I was put on one gliclazide with my breakfast and 2x metformin with my dinner. I was overweight, just about nudging into obese with my BMI. I revaluated everything, went on a low carb diet (made a few mistakes at first) and got off the sofa, walking everywhere.

I was fortunate that the weight came off quickly, my diabetic nurse was supportive and I came off the gliclazide within a couple of weeks and the metformin within three months. My weight dropped from 16st to under 13st within three months, which is within the healthy BMI zone.

I did become over obsessive (Probably unhealthily so) with my bg monitoring, recorded everything in excel, food eaten, steps completed, I'd get off the train, on my way home from work two stops early and walk the rest of the way. Then and now, I generally do over 100k steps a week.

Now, it's a bit more chilled, the diet is still low carb, no sweets or cake, no crisps or biscuits, I do like nuts, probably too much cheese... Trying not to snack, but that's easier said than done when working from home, lots of water, I often replace either lunch or dinner with a home made smoothie, which I really enjoy, you have to enjoy the food, figure out what works for you and try and stick with it, for the first three months I really didn't enjoy food and that was miserable.

I'm a lucky one, where weight loss has made the biggest impact, I do get mad at myself at times, for allowing it to happen, it could have been avoided. If I do eat carbs, I make sure to walk it off.

Not everyone is able to get off a train 2 stops early eg Bham to Kidderminster was 2 stops on the faster trains, so that's a 17 mile slog, or further if you want footpaths. When it's another two miles from Kidder station to your house and you walk that both ways most days anyway ... LOL

But just making fun Stuart - damn good job, well done you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back