Remission advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelda

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed in May 21, I know I have done well losing 2 stone and lowering my Hba1c from 100 to 39. What i'd like to know is when do they decide you're in remission? I still take 2 x 500mg of Metformin and would like to try to either reduce or stop it and maintain through healthy diet. I test my BG before breakfast and it ranges anything from 5.4 to 7 (but never above 7 since diagnosis) Weight loss is now slowing down, I have Long Covid (10 months now) and some days the fatigue is so bad I can't go to work never mind exercise and don't want to lose track of my goal. I'm hoping to discuss this with my DN next soon but wanted to try to inform myself first to help me understand what she might tell me.

This site and all it's inspiring stories has been a life line for me and definitely has helped me get this far.

TIA Karen (aka Zelda)

I suspect that it all depends on your surgery and how they count it - I think you need to be in normal or almost normal figures for some years for most of them.

I suspect that it all depends on your surgery and how they count it - I think you need to be in normal or almost normal figures for some years for most of them.
ahh ok, that was naive of me to think it would happen quicker than that. thanks for the response

ahh ok, that was naive of me to think it would happen quicker than that. thanks for the response
You can be seeing normal BG levels quite quickly after a change in diet - I went from a Hba1c of 91 to 47 in around 80 days of low carbing - but it was only after three still lower results that I was classified as in remission.
I had been feeling the benefits of lower levels long before the label was changed.

Diabetes UK defines type 2 diabetes remission as being a stable improvement in blood glucose, where HbA1c levels return to below 6.5% (48mmol/mol) and which is sustained for at least 3 months with no use of glucose-lowering medications.

This is generally considered to be brought about by weight loss, particularly loss of visceral fat around the organs. There is ongoing research (some published just last month at EASD) into the benefits of weight loss even in people who have a fairly low BMI, and who would not usually be recommended to aim for weight reduction.

Several forum members maintain HbA1c levels that meet remission criteria (3 months or more below 48mmol/mol without meds) by following a moderate or low carbohydrate diet.

There is more detail here:

Hi @zelda With your last HbA1c being 39 I would have the conversation with the GP about stopping the metformin. When I got my HbA1c back to normal the GP suggested that I continued taking metformin for six months and then we should retest. After a bit of friendly persuasion from me he agreed I could stop taking them and retest after three months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back