Reminiscing

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

Northerners post of yesterday re: butter, has started me reminiscing with myself!! Sad huh? LOL

Anyway it got me thinking about a lot of things from my past that I miss especially from when I was young. Things that came to mind were taking cheese and tomato sandwiches (or just tomato) to my dad during the summer months while he worked late on the farm, bailing hay etc. Having toast done by the open fire on a toasting fork (can almost smell it!), and the christmas my brother, sister and I all had german measles, poor mum :(

Has anyone else found that Northerners post has had the same effect? Or is it just me thats soooo sad :D

Take care all, shirl x

Norhterners post didn't have the effect on me, but yours has got me thinking about the things I used to enjoy.

We lived at Bethnal Green when I was a kid. I used to go swimming in York Hall Baths with my friends. If it was cold we'd all go get a hot bovril unitl our hair dried, and depending on how busy our mums were, we'd go to the chippy for six pennorth of chips or go staright home for lunch or dinner. Mums used to held German Measles parties because it was something better caught as kids. I never did get it...

Thanks for reply Caroline,

We lived in a very tiny community, no pub, no shop, and only 9 houses! Not sure why Northerners post made me reminisce but it was kind of good as it has put a smile on my face, and that hasn't been the case for some time!

Take care, lv shirl x

My aunties used to live in a small community. It has slowly grown around them. They used to be two houses next door to each other. Now the two houses are the centre of a small community of about 20 houses.

It is good to reminisce. I was looking at a pile of old photographs at the weekend, both of my family and of hubbys family, we both have lots of memories to share with the kids...

Not a reminisce as such, but a strong recall of the smell of egg mayonaise sandwiches and apples on a hot coach as part of a primary school trip somewhere in North Wales!

It's the sort of smell that lingers in the memory!

Andy 🙂

Our sense of smell plays a large part in helping us remember things. SOme smells linge physically as well as in the memory. For a long time I tried to find a powdert hat smelt like the one my nan used to use. then someone passed me who smelled the way I remember my nan smelling and I knew I'd nebver find the powder because my nan smoked!

Our sense of smell plays a large part in helping us remember things. SOme smells linge physically as well as in the memory. For a long time I tried to find a powdert hat smelt like the one my nan used to use. then someone passed me who smelled the way I remember my nan smelling and I knew I'd nebver find the powder because my nan smoked!

My Nan smells of channel no.5 and my grandads tabaco, i left a jacket at her house wehn she give it me back i just chucked it in the draw, then months later when i got it out it still smelt of her, and i cuddled it and then phoned her, smells are crazy like that.

:D

I still like the smell of my teddy bear, that I got when I was 4 - I even remember choosing it in the shop! 🙂

awwwww thats lovely Phoebe.

My memory is Trebor Extra Strong Mints. My nan used to buy a pack of 6 rolls for her and a pack of 3 rolls for us grandkids to share every friday when she went food shopping. And SKI yoghurts. =)

I remember Ski Yoghurts! I think they were one of the first brands to really sell themselves back in the 70s 🙂

SKi the full of fitness food, and in the days before things were laden down with extra addatives. My mum seemed to do shopping most days for fresh stuff back then.

I know it must sound mental but the smell of satsumas reminds me of christmas... 🙂

I know it must sound mental but the smell of satsumas reminds me of christmas... 🙂

Not at all. I am just too young to remember Christmas being the only time we got things like satsumas. My nan used to think they were very exotic! Now we get all kinds of exotic and glamerous fruits, some of which are grown in greenhouses year round!

I still like the smell of my teddy bear, that I got when I was 4 - I even remember choosing it in the shop! 🙂

how sweet😉 whenever I smell freshly cut grass it reminds me of walking to my primary school in the summertime xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back