• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

remedies for stress relief

Caroline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
We all know stress can cause our sugars to be high, so what does everyone do to reduce their stress?

It aint always easy in my house to do physical things as the main space is in front of the telly which is always on. I try to do housework and have recently got rid of loads of stuff to create more space. I find comming to these forums helps and writing to friends.

As I hate crowds (and confined spaces) I travel early and have recently discovered how much less stress I feel on the Dockland Light Railway (DLR).

I'm trying to find other ways to destress that wont upset the family because I need the space in frontof the telly they are trying to watch all bloody day, but now it is getting warmer I can go in the garden a bit more too.

A few years back, a male friend of mine, aged about 40 years, with 2 young children (then about 5 and 3 years) moved house and was told that if he didn't lose weight, he'd be on anti-cholesterol and blood pressure medication very soon. His solution for in-home exercise was to get a fold up exercise bike, so that he could cycle under the stairs, but still within earshot of the children. He already cycled at least 5 miles each day commuting to / from work. He also cut back on (but didn't stop completely) empty alchohol calories and take aways. It worked - within 6 months, he looked a lot healthier and about 5 years younger! Meanwhile, his wife continued to be as slim as ever!

I love the DLR too! I used to live in Greenwich and used it all the time. I still go regularly to Greenwich to walk in the park and visit the Observatory and the markets.

Caroline, can't you encourage your family to do other things than watch TV? I live in London too, there are loads of free museums and events.

To destress I read a book. It just takes me out of the situation.

I love the DLR too! I used to live in Greenwich and used it all the time. I still go regularly to Greenwich to walk in the park and visit the Observatory and the markets.

Caroline, can't you encourage your family to do other things than watch TV? I live in London too, there are loads of free museums and events.

To destress I read a book. It just takes me out of the situation.

I've tried to encoyrage them to do ther things, but the adult members of the household work in museums and galleries (Science Museum, British Library and The National Gallery)

My grown up son worked at The National Maritime Museum and his favorite duties were in the Royal Observatory.

DLR recently opened in Woolwich and is fantastic.

The best thing for me to do to combat stress is to go out for a run. Before diabetes I used to run very early in the mornings, when there were fewer people about (it's difficult running when there are women screaming and fainting all around you at the sight of your magnificent legs) and less pollution and traffic. The run would wake me up, mentally and physically, and set me up for the day.

Since becoming diabetic, I'm still trying to adapt to having food before I run, then waiting for an hour, plus all the messing about with insulin, checking levels etc. I lost a lot of fitness over the summer because the doctors wouldn't let me run as they thought I'd had a heart attack, so it's still hard work, but I'm gradually getting back to the point where I can run for an hour and just take in my surroundings as the world whizzes by.

Other than that, I enjoy reading all manner of stuff. I love learning new things. And I like to pen the odd poem every now and then, when the mood takes me! This place has been such a great boost to my knowledge about my conditionand what to do about it, and I also feel I've made many friends that I admire and respect, so thank You!!!:)

I find 'me time' is critical, my definition of stress is pressure that goes unmanaged. I have a massage a couple of times a month, swim three times a week (swimming a mile within a target time), attend the gym (didn't say I used it!!!) and find laughing is a great stress buster - as a result I spend lots of time looking at myself in the mirror, I've bought one of those full length mirrors as I found I spent so much time on the floor it hurt when I kept trying to stand up for another look!

That is one of the things I miss my 'me time'. I was up early this morning and had a couple of hours for me. i got the huge pile of CDs sorted that I'd been trying to sort for ages. Think I'll get up early tomorrow,I have a printer I want to install onto the lap top.

Caroline, how about listening to the CDs its a great way to switch off. And connecting printers to laptops - surely that induces stress?

Caroline, how about listening to the CDs its a great way to switch off. And connecting printers to laptops - surely that induces stress?

I'd love to listen to the CDs, but no one else wants to and it means going into another room. Before anyone asks, no one wants to compromise, it's the telly all the time unless I am up early.

The printer where it is (shoved in the corner in the bedroom) is causing stress as I need to clear the corner, so it can't be anymore stressful to put the bloody thing in the proper place and get it connected to the lap top. Once the printer and lap top are connected, then one person can use the computer for the internet and someone else can use the lap top for general writing if it needs to be prited.

Caroline,

Put all your favourite cds onto an mp3 player - you can get them quite cheaply now - then 'potter' around fixing your printer feeling happy that your doing something just for you and not annoying anyone around you!:DBev x

Caroline,

Put all your favourite cds onto an mp3 player - you can get them quite cheaply now - then 'potter' around fixing your printer feeling happy that your doing something just for you and not annoying anyone around you!:DBev x

I have personal steros and the like, so will give it a try. I am up early to do the printer because I'll get lots of help if I leave it until everyone else is up. I live in a mainly male household and women (according to them) can't do technical and I KNOW we can. Actually I lso wanted the printer OUT of the bedroom which is looking more and more like steptoes junk yard rather than a restfull haven for sleep!

I reckon the odes from Northerner and the stories from Einstein are excellent remedies for stress. Certainly started my day off well this morning

Other sources of stress relief for me: gardening, reading and sewing plus walking or exercise. Once upon a time, it might have been chocolate - now occasional mug of cadbury's highlights

I have tried taking the fuses out as the plug is a sealed unit and not so easy to replace. Hubby only put more fuses in again!

However I have got my own back and now connected the lap top to the printer and I can write letters with a CD on and leave them too it. I demand plenty of tea and sometimes the odd biscuit or two!"

Back