Reliability of patch pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom1982

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Are patch pumps all they are cracked up to be? Looking at our daughters CGM (Libre 3) it’s really handy for spotting patterns and so on, but sometimes he BG will go up so fast it’ll just crash. What if this happened with a pump coupled up to it? Or would the pump stop this from happening?

I can’t comment on patch pumps, but on my 780 pump which is looped with the sensor, it will stop delivery as I head downwards, or add in extra doses of insulin if I rise too high. This keeps my TIR in the 80s or 90s most of the time.

The automated system doesn’t cope too well in extreme circumstances, usually associated with sever illness,or or a fast hypo usually where I have miscalculated the carbs, or got distracted after pre bolusing.

I didn’t think any patch pumps can be closed loop systems yet?
That would definitely be the better situation for me.

I tried the onipod dash for a few months but did not work for me they kept leaking that is when the insulin goes in and comes back out along the outside of the cannula called tunneling i think but am now on a ypsomed pump and i am loving it good luck with your research.

The advantage of pumps in general (tubed or patch) is that they can do much smaller doses and you can fine tune things in a way you could never do with pens. Which is quite good for children who generally need much smaller doses. For example, if you find her basal is too much at a certain point of the day but OK the rest of the time you can just change that portion and leave the rest alone (basal doses on a pump are set by the hour so you can change each hour separately and don’t mess with the bits that are working). Whereas once you’ve injected the long-acting insulin then you’re stuck with it at that level for 24 hours and it may work fine during the night but be not quite right during the day. However, it takes a LOT of work to set them up so that they are running optimally, and even then things change all the time so sometimes you feel like you’re constantly fiddling and never quite getting it right. They certainly aren’t an instant fix! Also, if you’re looking for some sort of closed loop system, which links to a sensor and adjusts basal automatically to try to keep you in range, they can’t be used on children under about 6 years old, which I think yours is? Because their doses are too small for the system to be able to adjust effectively.

If your daughter is shooting sky high after food that would suggest that timing is an issue, try doing her bolus a few minutes earlier to give the insulin time to get working before the food hits her blood stream.

Hi just to say that camaps is a closed loop system approved for children over the age of 1. It's not a patch pump (either dana or ypsomed) but if you are looking into pumps worth asking your clinic if they can support it. I'm not sure in your original post what you mean by 'crash' but a closed loop will respond to a falling blood sugar and shut off insulin delivery, yes.

Use Omnipod Dash, not sure about looping but it's great pump.

Only issue so far was handset, battery life was poor & getting worse, asked for replacement & since then all has been good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back