1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Reheating potatoes-starchy foods

Discussion in 'Food/carb queries + recipes' started by belugalad, Aug 15, 2019 at 8:41 PM.

1. belugalad

belugalad Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    Has anyone cooked potatoes baked/mashed etc and let them cool and reheated them again to eat,I'm just wondering of those people that have tested blood after doing that, have you had much of a lower bg reading as opposed to eating them while hot after just heating/cooking once,I have heard this can be done with rice and pasta

2. Felinia

Felinia Member

Type 2
    I am newly diagnosed (3 days ago) with Type 2 and was advised to watch "The Truth about Carbs" on the BBC iPlayer. There was a section which said that if you reheated cooked cold potato, rice and pasta, it increases the resistant starch and makes them slower to digest, thus reducing the "spike". Suggest if you can you watch it, as it contains information almost identical to the Type 2 book "Can I eat that?"

Ljc and belugalad like this.
  3. belugalad

Type 2
    Thanks @Felinia I shall find that tonight and watch it tomorrow,it's been a long day,thanks for your help

4. Drummer

Drummer Well-Known Member

Type 2
    It made not one bit of difference to me - I can't eat potatoes without spiking, and staying high for some time afterwards..

5. Ljc

Ljc Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I think just like most things to do with diabetes it’s very individual, try it and see.

Sorry off topic
    I haven't had a roast potato for ages and loved to eat them cold, I adore cold chips too, I am weird lol.

SueEK likes this.
  6. Browser

Browser Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I freeze mashed potato ( 150 gms ) portions, brown rice ( 120 gms ) portions and wholewheat pasta ( 120 gms ) portions ( all cooked weight ) I prepare the potatoes fully with milk and butter and cook the rice and pasta to very ‘al dente’. The potato is recooked in the microwave on high for four or five minutes and the rice and pasta is completed from frozen in fast boiling water for five minutes. This works well for me and maintains BG levels at very acceptable levels.

SueEK and Sally W like this.
  7. belugalad

Type 2
    Thanks,for that I'm going to have to experiment with those,I'm glad it worked out for you