Regular eye test (not retinopathy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jodee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have regular eye test on Friday.

I have gotten out of the habit of regular finger prick testing.

This morning I was 8.3 mmol which is higher than I would like, happier if around 6 mmol.

My question query is. At what point is it best to delay eye test at the optician ie is there a cut off point for when to delay (avoiding unecessary lense change etc)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

In previous years the optician has said to delay appointment if blood glucose levels too high.

I shall be testing everyday now up to Friday to see if levels come down some

I have regular eye test on Friday.

I have gotten out of the habit of regular finger prick testing.

This morning I was 8.3 mmol which is higher than I would like, happier if around 6 mmol.

My question query is. At what point is it best to delay eye test at the optician ie is there a cut off point for when to delay (avoiding unecessary lense change etc)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

In previous years the optician has said to delay appointment if blood glucose levels too high.

I shall be testing everyday now up to Friday to see if levels come down some
That's not really high.

I've read that 4 is considered to be the floor and 10 the ceiling, so on that basis a reading that's in single figures wouldn't be considered high.

That's why there's a question mark after my comment - I don't actually know what numbers affect the shape of eyes or how long they would have to be above that number for that to happen. I imagine it differs between all of us like so may other things. Just a best guess on my part.

Constantly in the teens or higher, for weeks on end?
I am guessing you will not have a regular eye test trophywench unless you have stabilised at same levels, is that right?

That's why there's a question mark after my comment - I don't actually know what numbers affect the shape of eyes or how long they would have to be above that number for that to happen. I imagine it differs between all of us like so may other things. Just a best guess on my part.
that's possibly right I think, I thought I recall years ago that diabetic nurse agreed if it was in the 6.9 region it would be ok to test but can't get hold of any nurse to check the cut off point, I know my eyes noticeably start going peculiar when mmol is over 10 mmol

I've read that 4 is considered to be the floor and 10 the ceiling, so on that basis a reading that's in single figures wouldn't be considered high.

Is that for monitoring levels Martin or for getting a regular eye test do you know?

Thanks for info 🙂

As I understand it, the issue isn't with levels per se but changing levels. So if were newly diagnosed with a high level & were working on bringing it down, then it wouldn't make sense to get a new prescription until you were stable. I wouldn't be at all concerned with an 8.

Many thanks RBZ I did have a hiccough not so long ago but have since reduced levels.

Is that for monitoring levels Martin or for getting a regular eye test do you know?

Thanks for info 🙂
It's just a phrase I remember from something I read right at the beginning of my diabetes journey, in a piece about BG management. My DN also told me at my diagnosis that at the very least I should always aim for my fasting and pre- & post-prandial BG to be in single figures.

Great thanks Martin.

I agree with RBZ5416, it's not your BG Level it's when it changes significantly that will change an eye prescription. Having been in this exact position myself when I was originally diagnosed; when I went from an initial finger-prick reading of 30 at diagnosis to around 6 about four months later was enough for me to see my optometrist a couple of times to come up with a temporary measure to ensure that I didn't struggle with my sight. I would suggest that small changes to your BG levels, which are natural anyway as you eat and sleep, won't be enough to render an eye-test void and as long as you keep your BG levels to within recommended limits (4 > 10 has already been mentioned here), you'll be fine to get your eyes tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back