Reform of system for approving NHS drugs taking too long, say MPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Government proposals to change the system for approval of drugs that can be used in the NHS are still in a "nebulous" state and taking an unacceptably long time to be worked out, say MPs.

The government has floated ideas for what it calls "value-based pricing" of drugs, which would remove the final say on whether or not a drug could be used in the NHS away from the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice). The institute has been regularly attacked for turning down new medicines on the grounds that they do too little for too much money.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jan/16/reform-system-approving-nhs-drugs

Hmmmm.

Nobody has ever been successful getting drug companies to publish testing results unless they are favourable, have they? It's been left to whistle blowers to do that. Who have already parted company from the drug company.

Thought any company was allowed to keep it's trade secrets secret? Is that the defence they use for not doing this?

Bit baffled by the whole prescription drug pricing process. Yonks ago I had cause to buy some test-strips whilst on hols in France, they worked out near enough ?25, more or less the same as here.

Only difference was, you got 100 for that in France and only 50 here! Pete and I were gobsmacked about that. I did write to my MP and DUK about it at the time asking WHY. No idea now how prices compare - but I may make it my business to find out!

Hmmmm.

Nobody has ever been successful getting drug companies to publish testing results unless they are favourable, have they? It's been left to whistle blowers to do that. Who have already parted company from the drug company.

Thought any company was allowed to keep it's trade secrets secret? Is that the defence they use for not doing this?

Bit baffled by the whole prescription drug pricing process. Yonks ago I had cause to buy some test-strips whilst on hols in France, they worked out near enough ?25, more or less the same as here.

Only difference was, you got 100 for that in France and only 50 here! Pete and I were gobsmacked about that. I did write to my MP and DUK about it at the time asking WHY. No idea now how prices compare - but I may make it my business to find out!

I think they are even more expensive in the US. Companies negotiate a price according to what the market will sustain. In the US because of the insurance system they charge a lot more because it all comes back to higher premiums. Not sure why the French get twice as many as us though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back