Referral without GP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiv

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all

Is there a way to get yourself referred to a new clinic (I'm planning on going from Selly Oak Hospital, Birmingham, to Eastbourne District General Hospital) without going via your GP?

Only reason I ask - my GP is still up in Birmingham, and living down here makes it hard to get to, obviously! I am planning to change GPs soon so if it's quicker to get it done through a GP I'll just wait, but wondered what my options are if I chose not to go via the GP?

edit: I'm not going straight to my diabetes team for this referral as I don't want them to know yet that I am transferring my care.

Hi Shiv,
Your existing clinic can refer you and you dont have to give them a reason and they cant say no - 'patients choice'. Your GP is more likely to do it quicker as they dont tend to get so involved - but it might be better to either wait until you have your new GP or just ask your team for a referral now.🙂Bev

Can't ask team, they will want the trial pump back straight away! Trying to keep it hush hush from them as long as poss - so prob will get registered here and transfer that way.

Shiv, maybe only in Scotland - but you must have a referrel from GP for either NHS or private appt.

Given your recent change of of address - you could try and bluff your way into a hospital appt.

Good luck anyway

How about finding the new clinics phone number and give them a phone then you will be able to ask and explaine about your trial pump and how well you've done with it so far etc etc...

I doubt you will be able to refer yourself to an outpatients clinic. The easiest way would be to register with a new GP in Eastbourne area and at the first appointment ask to be referred to the hospital team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back