Reduced Insulin May Prevent Exercise-Related Hypoglycemia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
People with type 1 diabetes who exercise may need to reduce their insulin to counteract the effects of their workouts, according to a new study.

Exercise sends blood sugar plummeting, and when teamed with regular insulin doses can cause hypoglycemia.

Taking insulin in smaller doses both before and after exercise can help maintain steady glucose levels for people with type 1 diabetes, helping them avoid dangerous drops.

Previous research had suggested that reducing insulin intake before exercise was enough to prevent hypoglycemia.

"It's been well known that people with type 1 diabetes need to heavily reduce their insulin before exercise, but now we've showed that it's important to reduce it after exercise," says lead author Daniel J. West, PhD, from North Umbria University in the United Kingdom, in an article that appeared on the Medscape Medical News website.

http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2013...in-may-prevent-exercise-related-hypoglycemia/

I'm sorry, but how on earth is this news? I discovered this for myself nearly 5 years ago and it is well-documented, so how this can be a 'discovery' is beyond me! 🙄 Plus, I don't reduce insulin prior to exercise, so this 'fact' doesn't necessarily apply to individuals, although it may be true for many.

Erm I hate to tell the researchers this but I worked this out in the 1970's. I wonder how much money was wasted on this redundant research. Oh and back in the 70's there were no blood testing kits for home use either. Yet the result of exercise was blatantly obvious. 🙄

Erm I hate to tell the researchers this but I worked this out in the 1970's. I wonder how much money was wasted on this redundant research. Oh and back in the 70's there were no blood testing kits for home use either. Yet the result of exercise was blatantly obvious. 🙄

I just don't see how it could be serious and useful research! They only had 11 subjects anyway! 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back